Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sparkly baby-talk

My new pyjamas have sparkles on them. I told my mom that I wasn't going to take them off, ever; she just shook her head at me and went back to preparing dinner for the next evening. Apparently everyone just accepts the fact that I'm just a little crazy.
...

    "Oh no, dude, don't look at the table!"
    "At the table? Why not look at the...ohhhhhhhh."

Stupid perfect table.
...

Was hit BAD with the baby-craze today. I can't even remember how it started. I just remember that once I let it slip to Squiggly that I wanted them, neither he nor coincidence would let me forget.

    "I already know what their names are going to be; the first two, anyway."
    "How many are you going to have?"
    "Two to three. But if I'm open to having more than that, except that after three, they'll have to come in odd numbers. Two, three, five, seven, nine..."
    "Whoa, five and you'll start making your own sports teams!"
    "Yeah, I know. Seven's the perfect volleyball team!"
    "Uh, doesn't..."
    "I know what you're going to say, but seven is a team with a libero--and I believe the strongest teams have a great libero."
    "..."
    "Fuck...I'm insane."

And yet, he didn't judge. For the rest of the day, we actually did the baby talk. Not between us--because it's just too bad about the baby-thing--but between our future spouses. From becoming aunites and uncles, to actually having our own kids and disciplining them and raising them and such.

    "Your spouse really has to have the same sort of disciplinary ideas as you do--you know, not afraid to be stern."
    "Oh, hell yeah. I am NOT going to be doing the good cop/bad cop sort of mom and dad team. That just sucks because I KNOW I'd always end up being the bad cop, just because I love my kids."

    "By then I'd be in a house."
    "Oh for sure--I'd have had to give up my loft for them."
    "It'd be tough to raise more than three here. Unless you lived somewhere else in the world."
    "Oh trust me, I've calculated that too."

And then, of course, there were babies everywhere for the rest of the day. A family of four emerged from one store just as we finished discussing the number of children to a household (*sigh* "Okay, maybe I can do four."). A baby in a stroller tugged on Squiggly's coat while in line for food. A toddler rode past us on his father's shoulders at Costco. A baby was strapped in a front-facing snuggly in the aisles. And then, to top it all off, there was Boo on the phone with Burrito tonight.

    "So boo, I hear you've been hit with the baby-craze."

Now that I've taken the time to share that with you, it seems to petty and insignificant--just banter between friends. But really, if I could have captured an ounce of what I felt today during the baby-craze and posted that, I would have.

2 comments:

ehbaba said...

I think I would be the bad cop.

"SHUT UP, SIT DOWN, AND READ A DAMN BOOK!"

Anonymous said...

hahahaha. love it.
i'm totally on steph's side here.

- dimps.