Saturday, December 01, 2007

A love like theirs

Tonight (technically last night) was my parents' 26th anniversary. Having come home only shortly before them, I was still in the kitchen to watch them exchange their gifts. They giggled, they wooed, they thanked, and they exchanged kisses, much to my adolescent-childlike horror and delight. After so many years, they're still making it. Sure the gifts weren't lavish, sure the dinner wasn't gourmet, sure the occasion didn't warrant the night being reserved for only themselves, but after so long, just to know you're still in love must be more than enough.

I can only hope and wish for the same for myself.
...

    "Mom, so how did you guys meet? I mean really?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "Well, I've heard a restaurant story, a work story, a bathroom story, but I don't think I know the actual story."
    "Those are all of your dad's stories. Really, there's no story."
    "C'mon, you had to meet SOMEhow."
    *sighs* "Hm...alright, how did we meet? Well, it was...at a wedding. We met at a wedding. I was a friend, and your dad was family."
    "Really?"
    "Yup. We met at a wedding, and then soon after we were all invited by the bride and groom to go on a massive camping trip. And that's how we met."
    "Huh...that's it, eh?"
    "Yup, that's it."

It's still romantic to me. More uncannily romantic than my life is allowed to be.
...

If you could listen in to my brain right now, you would find this song. On repeat.

Yesterday the odds were stacked
In favor of my expectations
Flyin' above the rest
Never fallin' from the nest
Tuesday came and went and now
I'm in a little situation
Maybe it's for the best
I can live alone, I guess

Maybe I can stand alone
Maybe I'm strong as stone
Even though the bird has flown
Maybe he'll fly on home

Forgive me if I'm keeping you
Apart from better conversation
Hung up on all my doubt
Trying to sort the whole thing out
Tell me that I'm smart enough
To deal with all the information
Spinning inside my head
Every word he ever said

Maybe I can stand alone
Maybe I'm strong as stone
Even though the bird has flown
Maybe he'll fly on home

    --Alison Krauss, "Maybe"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear that.