Saturday, December 15, 2007

Dizziness diagnosed

So on Thursday morning, I woke up (at a sleepover) and found I was really dizzy. To the point where walking the 6 steps from the bathroom back to the bedroom had me almost black-out had I not so quick-thinkingly performed a volleyball-esque tumble through the door and onto the floor I'd just been sleeping on.

Immediately, all 4 members of my volleyball team that were there were all over me, concerned only for my well-being and health. From my position on the floor I assured them that, though unsteadily dizzy, I was okay. Someone asked me how I was feeling. I described my condition as:

I feel dizzy when I stand up--I almost blacked-out. I'm not nauseous, but I'm feeling both hot and cold in extremes. And I'm weak.

Personally, had I been the one trying to diagnose a friend, I would have chalked up the possibilities to being dehydrated, anemic, exhausted, or malnourished. Apparently, I am of a different strain of thinking as the overwhelming question from so many different people throughout the day was:
    "Are you pregnant?!"

WHAT?!

Perhaps had I thrown up a couple of times before emerging from that bathroom all weak and faint, then maybe. But I hadn't! This is how vicious rumours start, I swear. haha. But seriously, it was strange to have that pregnant question arise so many times throughout the day in regards to my condition. To this moment, I still don't know exactly what happened (my doctor's appointment isn't until next week!) but the idea just seems so farfetched to me, that I can't get over it. Thank goodness I'm easily amused.

Boo, on the other hand, when she found out what had happened to me that morning, assaulted me with a battery of possible diagnoses that felt a little closer to my train of thinking.

    "Are you okay?"
    "I'm alright."
    "Are you dehydrated?"
    "I don't think so."
    "Are you anemic?"
    "I don't think so."
    "Are you starving?"
    "Hungry, maybe, but not starving."
    "Are you pregnant?"
    "Why does everyone keep asking me that?"
    "Are you on your period?"
    "Not yet, but that could explain part of it."
    "Are you exhausted?"
    "I slept."
    "Are you stressed?"
    "No more than usual."
    "Are you heart-broken?"
    "Oh, Boo. Maybe I am."
    "Do you think that's it?"
    "Would you believe me if I wanted to say it was?
    "Absolutely."
...

    "It's strangely quiet, though I asked for it to be this way."
    "I know. But secretly you wanted it to break, didn't you?"
    "Of course. But it's better this way, right?"
    "In the long run, yes."
...

I am STILL basking in the affections of last night.
...

Two men this week have called me in search of a familiar voice, and I am flattered that they looked for that familiarity in mine. I love both of them to pieces.

No comments: