Sunday, December 02, 2007

Snow

The snow storm they had predicted had arrived. It snuck up quietly while we were dancing the night away in the club. By the time we left, there were cars sliding through the foot-deep snow all across the city. I let him drive; not only were my eyes incredibly dry, but I knew he'd enjoy it more. Our route home twisted and turned its way through the city byways and highways as we happened upon obstacle after obstacle of abandoned cars, cars unable to make it up inclines, cars unable to stop for red lights, or cars that just simply couldn't clear the depths of snow ahead. Having left the party at 2am, our usual 30 minute drive home with various stop-offs turned into a two hour trek.

It was 4am by the time he pulled into his own driveway in my car--all that was left was for me to get myself home and into bed. The car was in neutral, parking brake engaged, and yet neither of us made the effort to move.

    "Did you want to talk?"
    "I'd love to talk, but to be honest, I've got to get home to bed. I've got to get up and brave this again by 7am."
    "That sucks. We can talk tomorrow."
    "Yeah, we can. You know, I'm done at 1pm; I'll come home, clean up, and then we can head out to Main Street Unionville on an adventure to help those stuck along the way, and then we can go for a Starbucks to talk and watch the snow fall."
    "That sounds good. I'd like that."
    "Me too."

There was one more moment of pause before we finally got up; he to enter his house, me to switch to the driver's seat. He stood in the snow to see me into the car.

    "You going to be okay to drive?"
    "Yeah, no problem."
    "You sure?"
    "I'm tired, but I'll be fine. I'll call you when I get home."
    "Okay, call me."
    "I will. 'Night."
    "'Night."

This time I watched him into his house, and then pulled out of the driveway, my headlights falling briefly on the footprints we'd left in the snow, surely to be swallowed by the storm.
...

The question now becomes; catch minimal sleep and risk sleeping in? Or stay up the rest of the time until when I must leave in the morning?

No comments: