Tuesday, April 13, 2004

This Isn't Red-Violet...Is It?

My pooter exploded last night. Not the one in my room, but the main one downstairs. Brodder thought he’d fixed it by clearing out the dust and giving it a cooler home, but about half an hour later, it exploded again…for good. Something about the hard drive failing. Brodder is desperately trying to fix it, along with the guidance of Bar, but so far, we’re still waiting to see what we can salvage before we get too involved in making “adjustments.” I don’t understand a thing that they’re doing. What I DO understand though, is that I can’t access my Rogers email account, and that I’ve probably lost all of the writing that I’ve done over the year, be it essays or whatnot. That sucks. I have yet to hear about the pictures…but if I lose those, I will be completely lost. :’(

Pooters suck. They’re supposed to be so technologically advanced and so conveniently organized--which they are--until they explode on you like mine did and then you’re completely screwed. Thank goodness I still have pen and paper.


Mom’s working on opening a hair salon downstairs in the basement soon. Dad’s already begun the renovations for her sinks and chairs and all. Last night I was Mom’s guinea pig. Not that she’s never done hair before—she has her license—but it’s been a while since she’s done much more than give hair-cuts and whole-head dye-jobs. So anyway, last night was her practice rerun on doing foil highlights and figuring out how much hair dye would be needed for particular jobs, as well as experimentation with colours.

After all was said and done, I must say that Mom did a pretty nice job. Exactly as we had planned, and very funky looking. However, I must say it was a learning experience not only for her, but for myself as well.

First, the foils. I never realized how tedious it was to highlight someone’s hair. We only put streaks in the forward/top part of my head, but it sure took a long time. I looked like an alien out of a cheesy 60s sci-fi; Hun-Gee even had the audacity to suggest I sit closer to the TV in hopes that my wavy foil head would get him better reception of the game. :p

Second, the amount of hair-dye. When we went to the beautician’s supply store to pick up the colouring, we stopped to ask the girl there how much she speculated we’d need to dye my hair the way we’d planned (high-lights and then a solid lower-half). Between her and Mom, they figured that while it would take 3 whole tubes of pigment to colour my whole head, maybe we could eke it out with just one tube for this job…so we bought 2 tubes to be sure. We only used one tube for time-saving reasons, but this turned out to be only enough for 3/4 of the hair that we’d planned to dye. Not that we only did one side of my head and now it looks weird, just fewer streaks and less low-lighting than we’d thought. My hair still looks cooler than yours. ;)

Finally, the colour. You know when you go out to the drug store and you buy the boxes of do-it-yourself colouring and you really like the colour on the box/hair-swatch, but after you get home and actually apply the colour it turns out 1000 shades darker than you thought? Well, that’s how it was for me the last time that I coloured my hair because I’d bought the stuff from the drug store. Well, this time I thought I’d outsmart the dye and by picking a colour much lighter and more vibrant than what I actually wanted, that way it could set and fade to the right shade the day after. Smart, right? Not when you actually go to the beautician’s supply to get your pigments. See there, the colour that you see on the box is the colour that you’re going to get in your hair. So, needless to say, my hair is slightly lighter and more vibrant that I’d originally thought.

I used to be all about the “au naturel” look when it came to my hair and swore that no harmful products would ever come in contact with it to change its natural colour or look (not to say that dyes are harmful or anything, they’re actually quite rejuvenating for your hair) but now that I’ve started with the colouring, I don’t think I can stop. We still have an extra bottle of the same pigment, and I intend for it to be in my hair by Wednesday night at the latest. I’ll let you all know when Mom’s salon will be open for business. :)

No comments: