Friday, April 16, 2004

Careful What You Wish For

The immediately previous post to this one was actually supposed to be posted last night. I was going to finish that post and then settle in for the long study haul till my exam at 2pm this afternoon. I had even cleared off my desk and set up my books and notes in preparation. But alas, as I rounded the third paragraph of that post, the power suddenly cut out to my computer--I didn't post, I didn't save. It took me a second to realize what had just happened, and then another second to realize that it wasn't just the power to my computer, but to my whole house. I ambled out to the hallway in tmie to catch Brodder's cry of "Aww crap!" rise from the office downstairs. By the time I reached the hall, I could see out Brodder's window and saw that it wasn't just my house, but the whole city block that had lost power. KC had mentioned wanting to be able to see the stars again like that night of the North American Blackout this summer and I had concurred, but I hadn't quite been ready for it just at that second. After finding the flashlights and lighting the candles, my brother passed out on my floor (apparently he runs on electricity too) and I gave up on trying to study. Instead, I peeked outside and up at the stars. The sky eventually clouded over, but I saw those stars clear as a bell, just like I'd wanted to. The power eventually came back on at about 3 o'clock in the morning, but by then my whole house was asleep.
...

I was clearing out my "inbox" from downstairs today. It's basically a file amonst a bunch of others in which my homework, mail, bills, and other crap gets put into when other people have found them while cleaning the house and neither know if it's garbage, nor want to seek me out and ask. So as I cleaned it out, I found a piece of writing:
I told him. I hadn't meant to. I meant to hold onto it indefinitely to see if I could do it. See if it would go away. I still believe it will go away. Temporary--like most everything else in my life.
It's in my handwriting, but there's no date, no names, nothing else to indicate who "him" is or what "it" is that I'm referring to. I suppose it was temporary afterall.

No comments: