Thursday, October 02, 2003

Song of the Moment: "Today, Tonight" - Dishwalla

Waiting for a train to catch
Waiting for the perfect match
Waiting for someone to make a call
If only you had to make a change
Every day and every night
As every hour goes by

Today, tonight
Tomorrow, the next night
Too long too late
Till then I'll wait

Waiting for the plane to crash
Waiting how long can you stand
And you hope it never ends
Every day and every night
As every hour goes by

Today, tonight
Tomorrow, the next night
Too long too late
Till then I'll wait

...

Kinda reminds me of my studying sessions--"too long, too late..."
...

Caution: Mind-Boggling Rambling ahead...
Do you believe in Destiny? What role does it play in our lives? Are our lives predetermined? If they are, what's the point in living if it's already known what's going to happen to us?

I believe in Fate. I believe that Destiny exists but I don't believe that that means our lives have been scripted for us. I think that Destiny has it that certain specific events are meant to take place in each of our lives, but depending on our own actions and decisions it life, those events can either happen sooner, or later; we still control our lives, but we still have our dates with Destiny. This explains why sometimes there occur strange coinicidences in people's lives that seem like the most bizzare things to happen at the most bizzare moments. It's because Destiny had it that that person was going to have that event happen to them sooner or later in life, but through that person's actions and choices up until then, that event had been pushed back further and further until it reached a point that Destiny decided that this was the last opportunity to have this event occur, and so Destiny had it happen, even though it was at such an odd moment. It had to happen because it's not only YOUR Destiny that must happen, it's a Destiny shared with billions of others--some of your moments have to coincide with other people's moments and so Destiny has to coordinate this all and therefore you get those weird coincidences that happen and can only be explained by Destiny. Confused yet? Perhaps the example that Chong and I came up with over dinner (and a very long drink) will help...

I had dinner with Chong tonight. Let's say that this dinner with Chong was a moment I was MEANT to have according to Destiny. The reason I had dinner tonight was because when Chong asked me if I wanted to eat, I realized that I didn't have to work and so I chose to go eat with him; this destined moment was therefore fulfilled. However, if tonight I decided that although I didn't have work, I was too broke to do anything and chose to stay home, my destined moment would not have been fulfilled and Destiny would have to wait for another opportunity to be completed. My Destined moment at dinner with Chong may then happen in a week, or maybe a year, but it still has to happen. So let's say it's 60 years down the road and I've still yet to have this dinner. In a week, I'll be moving to the other side of the world to finish off my life as a missionary in Africa. In fact, I haven't spoken to Chong in 50 years--I've nearly completely forgotten who he is. However, I'm still Destined to have dinner with Chong, and so, Destiny seizes the last opportunity she has and as I'm leaving the passport office that night, I get into the elevator and on the fifth floor down, an girl gets on and excitedly recognizes the man next to me and asks for his autograph (probably another destined moment), drawing my attention to him and his name--it's Chong. From there, we'll have dinner because I know it's the last time I'll see him before taking off to Africa and I'll choose to do so; the destined moment has been fulfilled. Does that make any sense? Don't worry, if it was MEANT to make sense to you, it will. If not today, then maybe tonight; tomorrow, or next night. It may seem too long at points, but it'll never be too late. Till then, I'll wait.

No comments: