Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Quote of the Moment:
"Just now I read this in an interview with Thom Yorke on CNN:

'I've never been able to understand why so many people get it," he said. "That, to me, is the thing. It surprises me because the thing I'm always paranoid about is whether I'm the only one who understands what I'm trying to do. It's the same to everybody in the band. We need to tell each other that what we're doing is good.'

This made me think of something that has been squirreling around in my head lately about how you don't have to be great on a global, national, regional, or even small community scale; but that if five or ten people consistently believe in each other and enjoy each other creatively, then that's pretty good."
    --Beth Cherry, The North Carolina Experiment - October 28,2003
...

I believe it. You don't need everyone to think you're great. You just need to support and be supported by a vital number of people--be they friends or fans--to know that you've truly done your job, and that you've done it well. Fame is all comparative. Boobie's definitely famous: she's got an album sold worldwide, concert listings, posters all over the place, a forum about her online, a fan club, and all of her closest friends to support her. But you don't need all of that to be famous (although I'm VERY proud of boobie for having all of that and I wouldn't want her to have any less for the world). Comparatively, Jean is famous too--that's why he's called Jean afterall. Walk around school and people recognize him and herald him as a monument of that place, of the basketball and volleyball courts, as a good tito (with or without a wedgie), and a good friend. Therefore, he's definitely famous too. And then it only follows that we boos are all famous--we are our own fan club for each other. We will yet take over the world, just wait and see.

I think we're all famous to someone. I think it's important that we're all famous to someone. I think someone is always admiring you and supporting you all the time, whether you know it or not. I know I admire people secretly. I admire that girl at school because she's so tall but manages to fit in confidently anyway; I admire that guy on the courts because he's so good at volleyball, but he's so modest at the same time; I admire that girl at mom's work because she's just so bubbly, cute, and not afraid of anyone. Be admired. Be famous. Don't worry about trying to find out who makes up your fan club, just know that you have one, and then join someone else's...that way everyone can be famous one day.

(p.s. Can I join your fan club?)

No comments: