Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Spidey Senses

Wednesday night, and SilentR and I were on the Tube home from fish and chips and adventure through Oxford circus. Having a bit of a ride ahead of us, I let my eyes wander until they fell on the pages of the book my neighbour was reading: American Psycho. Almost tempted to ask him how he was liking it, I decided against it. I was too tired for small talk, and besides, he was only on page 6.

A moment later, Silent nudged me. Speaking quietly through her teeth, it seemed she asked me a question.

    "Ithzat o bee mwire?"
    "What?"
    "Ith tht obi mgwire?"
    "What??"
    "Is that Tobey Maguire?" she finally had to hiss at me.

Oh.

The next chance I got, I took a look. It could have been, but the nose was too pointy, in my opinion. Maybe more of a hobbit-ish Elijah Wood lookalike. Especially with those blue eyes. I said so. But SilentR wasn't convinced.

A few more discreet glances and finally a seat change by Silent, she was almost positive of it.

AND we got off at the same station.

AND he kept glancing back at us as we followed him out of the station and crossed the street (we had to go that way anyway).

AND, just to be sure, we googled images of him back at our hotel.

    "There's the cleft chin! It was definitely him!"

Dammit.

Too late did I learn the discreet way of asking celebs if they were indeed who we suspected them to be.

    "Psst. Are you so-and-so?"
    "Yes."
    "Oh, okay."

Next time. Don't worry, I'll ask Robert Pattinson if he's really him when we find him in London. And I'll ask him if he can wish a friend a Happy Birthday too.

No comments: