Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Picking Barcelona

In all of the city descriptions our (now lost) Lonely Planet book had to offer, the one warning that was consistent for each of our destinations was: beware of pickpockets.

In my mind, a pickpocket was first and foremost a classic Oliver Twist character who picked things out of your pocket. Hence, I didn't keep anything important in my pockets.

Second came the more modern image of the ploy of someone (or several someones) bumping in to you as you're walking, causing a distraction whilst nimbly relieving you of something valuable. Hence, I always, checked my person immediately after if anyone bumped into me.

However, I've realized that more than the classic notions (that I had) of pickpockets, these people are sleight of hand artists. This is after a foiled attempt (foiled by fast acting SilentR) of a petty thief today.

Tired after yet another mountainous climb, Silent and I sat down for a meal and to write some postcards on an outdoor patio. In addition to putting her postcards on the table, Silent pulled out her iPhone to check the time. A second later, a man come up and tried to offer her fliers. She kept telling him "no", but he continued to fan them in front of her, spilling some onto the table. Another firm refusal, and a quick gathering up of her belongings onto the other side of the table out of his reach was finally enough to discourage the man, not to mention our server barrelling out to shoo him away as an apparently known thief of the area.

A quick assessment of our stuff told us we still has all of our possessions.

    "Quick thinking to grab your phone, eh?"
    "I know! I swear he'd already pulled it closer to him--it wasn't where I'd had it on the table. I knew when he wouldn't leave me alone that he was up to something because when the lady at the other table refused him, he'd left right away and came here."

A close call, a wake-up call, and another adventure to add to the list.
...

Marilyn Manson is playing somewhere in Spain this December.

    "Marilyn Manson is so 90s."

Indeed.

No comments: