Friday, November 20, 2009

Giving up on change?

It took me a few days to make myself familiar with the sizes, shapes, and colours of all the Euro coins. It wasn't even until a few days ago that I realized each country had their own variation of design/impression on each coin.

And then I got to London.

Pounds and pence, quid and shillings. I could keep up. It didn't help either that I still had a collection of Euros in my wallet, not to mention that life and all of its transactions in London take place at breakneck speeds.

I tried my best to keep up--I really did. I separated out all of my Euros. That didn't help. I kept all of my coins at the ready in my hand when paying. I was still left sorting through each coin, trying to discover its denomination. I paid only with bills--that helped, but also caused me to amass a fortune in small change.

And so, I gave up.

Everytime I've made a purchase in the last 12 hours, I've pulled out a fistful of coins, and have just offered it all to the cashier.

    "I know I can pay all in change, but I really suck at it. Help."

And suddenly, London change sorted itself out.

No comments: