Tuesday, November 25, 2003

The Things We Should Not Do For Fashion

Today was a typical November day; snow had fallen last night, the wind was biting, and it was overall pretty darned cold as the thermometer wavered around the -2 mark for most of the day. Myself, I had on my UofT fleecy pants on with my blue hoodie and blue Skechers to match. I even wore my "G" hat to ward off the bad-hair-day in progress. I had grabbed my coat and gloves on my way out the door (late again) but neglected to snatch my scarf off the top shelf of the closet. Despite my best dressed efforts, I was still a little on the chilly side as the wind whipped my cheeks to a rosy blush. I would like to say that I'd thought I'd managed to be fairly prepared for the weather, without having committed any fashion faux-pas. Sensible, right?

What I don't get are the people out there that still hold fashion over practicality. As I'd like to think I'd demonstrated today, you can manage to dress for the weather without looking like a total bum. But apparently this isn't apparent to some out there. Let's take a look at what I came across today:

  1. High Heeled, Open-toe Sandals - I actually came across two pairs of these. I'm totally for the high heels (most are surprised at how short I actually am when I sport the runners), that wasn't my issue. It's just that when it's below freezing weather out there, and even when I've got my boots on, the first thing to go numb are my toes, yet these girls insisted on being able to show off their freshly painted toenails. Come on, you don't want to lose those babies to frostbite now, do you? Cuz then you won't be able to paint them anymore...

  2. Mini-skirt with a Tank Top - Okay, I understand that she was supposed to be promoting something or other by approaching people and handing out flyers (I didn't get one, probably because I outrightly raised the eyebrow at her as she approached my way) but when your legs are still showing signs of redness after you've been inside for at least half an hour, I think one should have perhaps considered leg-warmers while outside in transit to school--I hear leg-warmers are making a raging comeback in Japan right now, it couldn't hurt. Oh, and can you believe she had the audacity to complain to her friends "It's so cold in here!"?!?!?!

  3. Single Gloves - Unless you're talking about something used to catch flying objects with, gloves are referred to as pairs of things, right? And on a pretty darned cold day, why would you keep one hand warm while allowing the other to suffer? Some guy was wearing only one glove on the bus. Granted, it was on the hand he used to hold the bar with so it could've been his "on-the-bus-bar-holding" glove; this would also explain why it wasn't a regular heat-retentive glove but one that looked more like some sort of cyclist's glove. But still. Why only one? And why not a warm one? I would've preferred that he didn't wear any gloves period, that way I could at least assume that he hadn't any at all...but he wore one and only one. I feel sorry for the other one, it must be somewhere being lonely...

  4. Big Red Plastic Comb Stuck in Hair- No, this was not an afro pick of any sort. It was a one piece, red plastic comb with an extended handle, stuck in some girl's hair. It was jammed up underneath her slicked ponytail. It neither held stray hairs in place, nor helped to hold up the pony-tail in anyway. It was just there. Big, ugly, and red, and it was just sticking out from her head, a menace to eyes and faces that may have leaned too close on the bus. This has nothing to do with the weather (although it did keep her from being able to wear a proper toque or other hat of sorts) but it needed to be included anyway.

I'm not saying that I'm perfect--hell, I left the house with one less earring than I should've been wearing (or one too many, depending on how you look at it)--but at least I'm attempting to be practical. Bring it on, Winter!!!

No comments: