Sunday, November 16, 2003

Can You Hear Me Now?

So I started playing volleyball again on Thursday, despite the fact that I was still kinda sick with a scratchy throat. And then I kept on playing volleyball on Friday night, and all day on Saturday (despite the results, an awesomely fun tourney--with our own cheering section too!). What's the point? Apparently when you have a sore throat, you can continue screaming and cheering and rooting your team and team members on so for only so long before you lose your voice entirely. Yup. Even if I TRY to talk, I can only manage a decibel level of about a mouse's whisper. It's awful.

Actually, I hadn't lost my voice completely yet by the time the tournament was over yesterday, but the fact that I had to go straight to work afterwards and deal with about a billion-and-one customers was what put my voice over the edge. A lot of the people were nice about the fact that my voice was cracking and squeaking mid-sentence. A lot of the older people felt the need to tell me that I was going to have to deal with it for a long time and that I shouldn't expect to talk again for at least half a week. They were so encouraging.

There was one guy that I think was endeared by my loss of vocalness on the phone. He called in to see if we'd located his FOB (if anyone knows why they're called that, please enlighten me) remote/keychain for his condo that he'd lost last week. In my now whispery rasp (which I have to admit, was almost kinda sexy) we had a quick, fun, and friendly conversation about what he lost and what it looked like, and I told him that I'd call him later after I'd had a look for it. So I didn't find it, but I did call him back and had to leave a message ("Hi, this is the girl with the funny voice...") telling him so, and I figured too bad for him. Turns out later that he called me back and had asked for me, but since I was busy he told my co-worker to thank me for the message and wished that I would get better soon. I don't know what he said, but it was enough for my Chu to ask me:
    Chu - "Did you know that guy that called for you?"
    Me - "No, why?"
    Chu - "I dunno why, but sounds like dude likes you."
Weird...I'm just so damn charming with a raspy, transvestite kinda voice. :p

Anyway, so throughout the day, I've been trying to whisper as loudly as possible. I've been trying to get other people to answer my phone for me as much as possible and serve as my voice for me--without other people, I can barely get the caller's attention and even let them know I actually AM there. It's quite funny sometimes; until I end up having to repeat myself 5 times to get one sentence through. Ah well, only what, 3-4 more days of this? We'll see how this works...maybe my profs will be a little more lenient on the fact that I missed 3 days of school last week due to my hideous looking illness. Man, I hope so...

No comments: