Monday, November 03, 2003

...But The Last One Was Just Right...

The Imaginus Poster sale arrived at the Meeting Place today. I wandered through the displays and came to the saddening realization that my room contains too little wall space. :(

Some of the stuff they have is really cool, but too fantastical for my tastes. And there are the abstract pieces that take me back to my anti-abstract-art conversation with Jean not too long ago when we decided that some of that stuff just shouldn't be allowed. Then there are those supposedly inspirational photos of beautiful scenes or amazing feats accompanied by the motivational phrase along the bottom ("There is no 'I' in 'team'"); those just don't do it for me. And then I have beef with purchasing movie posters: someone originally acquired them all for free, so why should I be paying (however, the movie scene shots aren't too bad, just so hard to pick from!)? That leaves the celebrity glossy photos (too commercial), the Anne Geddes et al. pieces (too cutesy), the cartoons (too girly), the animal collages (too cuddly), the half-naked model shots (too envy-inspiring), and the credo-lists (too categorical--although I allow the Fight Club rules to serve as the only exception).

Despite all of those exclusions from my personal tastes there are still hoardes of posters left to choose from--something I couldn't do. I wish I could've brought a personal consultant to select or create one poster specifically to fill the empty space of wall in my room. That's a tough job though. Of my friends and family, I would trust very few with that task. As a list, I think they'd be dad, Tobias, Jean, Q, and V-Jai; the artists of my life. Hurry up guys...the sale ends 5pm tomorrow, although I will accept personal submissions after this date... :p
...

On a random tangent, my shoes have been disappearing lately. Pair by pair (granted, I've ony seemed to have lost two pairs so far) I've tried to wear, and pair by pair they've mysteriously gone missing. It all started when Senorita asked to borrow my black sandals for her cousin's wedding. For two weeks I've been looking for those shoes, and for two weeks, I've come up empty-handed. I swear I've checked everywhere. I even checked both of the cars--even hun-Gee's cars--but no sign of them. I've written of their disappearance to the fact that I probably lent those sandals to a girlfriend and forgot to re-claim them after a while. But today, I discovered that yet another pair of shoes went missing. I mean, the ones I lost today were just a crusty old pair of runners, but still, where did they go? I tore apart the upstairs and downstairs closets this morning looking for those shoes. I opened every shoe box and storage bin I came across, whether or not it seemed to have anything in it. Quite frustrating to find absolutely nothing, let me tell you. Mom usually charges a dollar for her to find anything for you in the house. By then I was ready to pay her $20 to find my shoes. But, I don't think she'd be able to find them either. So far, throughout my whole ordeal, she hasn't offered to help at all--sure she's suggested places for me to look, but actual help. That's why I came up with my theory: she's in on it. She may not have taken them, but she's in on it. :p I'm going to have to take an inventory of all my shoes tonight, and move them all to a safer place. I could be overreacting of course, but I can't afford to lose anymore shoes--losing shoes means I'll have to buy new ones and I can't afford that.

Quote of the Moment:
"I seem to have misplaced my pants."
    --Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did I tell you you're not allowed to make me burst out laughing while in a room full of people? Self-righteous, I'm-more-important-than-you, my-shit-is-hotter-than-yours do gooders who are trying to finish their test cases and projects? No? Well, now you know.