Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Love of that second cup

While preparing myself a bad cup of coffee today (I accidentally added WAY too much sugar), I realized that as a kid, I had no idea what coffee was supposed to taste like and probably prepared the WORST cups of coffee for my parents when my brother and I used to try to surprise them with pancake breakfasts from time to time (pancakes and instant noodles were the only things we could cook at that age).

The way it would work would be that we'd get up "early" (weekend early = 10 am) and since we were left to our own devices, we'd make pancakes and then make coffee for mom and dad.  By the time we were ready with everything was probably up to 2 hours later, but hey, we kept ourselves occupied.  Anyway, we'd put cream and sugar into the drip cups of coffee until the colours looked right, and then take our precious time walking down the (carpeted) hallway from the kitchen to their bedroom with every thing balanced on 2 plastic trays (one tray for each of us).  Mom and Dad would "wake up" (I realize now that there was probably no way that they could sleep through any racket we made in the kitchen, and dad rarely sleeps past 10:30 am when he's bone tired) and accept our eager offerings.  First would be to remove the cups of coffee (most likely thing to spill onto their bed) and take sips.

  "Mmmm!" would always be the result, but, as I mentioned, thinking about it today, those cups of coffee were probably so creamy and sweet, they were probably "mmm-ing" because their teeth were welded shut with the over-generous amount of sugar we put in, not to mention the fact that they hadn't yet had our syrup drenched pancakes yet.

Dear mom and dad,

  You guys are troupers.  Thanks for not putting down our horrible coffees skills and as such giving us the confidence to keep making coffee until we got it right.

Love,

melody

However, now that I think about it, I recall more than once catching them topping up their cups with more coffee - after pouring half of it out in the sink.  That's love.

No comments: