Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Extra extra work

I'm on the job hunt and in an attempt to ward off the "omg I don't have a job" panic, I'm open to taking up temporary jobs until I find a more permanent placement that I'm not just jumping at for the sake of jumping at it.  My first temp job kind of started today on the referral of my dad - being an extra in a movie!

Today's task was wardrobe fitting; the call was for 10 am this morning.  Considering the fact that we've moved out to the 'burbs and the film studio is right down by the waterfront in the city, I gave myself an hour and a half to contend with the morning's rush hour traffic of people heading off to their "real" jobs to get down to the fitting on time.  Turns out I only needed 50 minutes.  Rather than twiddling my thumbs in my car, I manned up and headed in.  I located the building I was supposed to be in and, finding the door ajar, I let myself in.

The building was a giant-sized closet for a billion people at once.  I didn't see anyone at first, only racks upon racks upon racks of clothing.  But then, a voice.

  "Hello?"
  "Hello...I'm here for the 10 o'clock fitting?  I know I'm really early..."
  "Well, better early than late!"
  "True."

And with that, my initiation had begun.  My gracious host was an assistant who was the only one who could reach the high-up racks and who aspired to own a Caribbean restaurant in Japan ("No competition there--it's like being the only girl at the bar; she's going to be the most popular girl in the joint!").  We introduced ourselves (in Japanese, no less) and he settled me on a chair to await the one in charge of this wardrobe fitting. I was given some boots and my uniform (I'm not even sure that's what it was) and after trying it on, being tightened and tucked and photographed, I changed back into my own clothes and was done.

  "Am I free to go?"
  "Well, I wasn't exactly holding you prisoner."
  "True."

Bidding adieu to my host and to the other extras who had managed to trickle their way in after 10 am, I left that oversized warehouse of a closet and headed home, the first hours of extra-work under my belt.

No comments: