Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Wha' happened?

Food happened.

We're here! We're here! 22 hours in transit plus the time from the airport and we made it to KL. How's it been? Full of food.

My first order of business was to learn just how much Malaysians love their food. I should have known that it was always underlying in Malcolm, but I never saw this foodie in him in full force until now. The closer we got to his home town, the more this craving for food emerged. Thank goodness we lost weight before heading here!

It all started at the HK airport. A few hours after being fed an airplane-breakfast in flight (I picked congee which turned out to be quite good), we were deposited in Hong Kong for our 3 hour layover before transferring onward to KL. We took a quick walk through the arrivals wing before determining that everything was closed and not interesting, so we slid on through security to check out the departures side of things. 6 o'clock in the morning and the restaurant stoves were already ablaze with deliciousness.

Of my four or five choices, I forewent the sushi and McDonald's and instead decided on a huge bowl of noodles and dumplings (when in Rome...).

Malcolm, on the other hand, opted for something a little less traditional. I didn't take a picture of it, but he ordered Popeye's Chicken Fingers...with fries...and mashed potatoes...and onion rings.

After chowing down, we strolled around the airport to check it out a little more before heading to our gate. It's a big, beautiful airport, I have to say.

However, not long at all into our exploration, we discovered that we could have had 10 more options of restaurants to choose from had we not jumped at the first bank of retailers we'd come across.

Back on the plane, we were served black bean chicken on rice - I was barely able to finish it having not long ago finished my bowl of noodles, but not Malcolm - he polished that off too (though to his credit, he was too full to finish mine for me). Off the plane, through customs, and whizzing through the city towards home with his brother, I couldn't believe my ears: "Hey, can we stop for food?"

Stop we did.

I didn't manage to get a photo of it before we dug in (the boys much more heartily than me), but I took what I could and it was good enough as what was left was demolished a few minutes later. You could tell by the look on Malcolm's face he was happy to be home.

I think that was lunch--we still managed to have dinner later that night, and then breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack the next day. I have been REALLY lax on the photo taking, but I promise there will be more, just as I have been promised that this is only the beginning of the food to come...

No comments: