Wednesday, November 23, 2011

On the market

I love going into stores and buying crap.  I can't describe it any other way.  I love looking at trinkets and souvenirs and stuff like that.  Cheap deals and awesome steals.  Truth be told, I don't BUY that much of it, but I love to see what's out there, food, books, toys, and otherwise.  SO, when Malcolm's brother suggested he take us to the Thursday night market one neighbourhood over, I was ecstatic!

When we first pulled up, we parked at the side of the road a little ways away and walked in.  What appeared over the crest as we neared our destination was titillating.  I was greeted by a bustling block of tents and kiosks and cooking smoke and mouth-watering smells and blinking lights and colourful stalls and piles of fruit and crowds of people and shouts and smiles and...it was an assault on the senses.  A welcome assault.

Having experienced the markets themselves many times, Malcolm et al let me lead the way.  Food dominated the market by far.  We arrived "late" by eager beaver standards and could already see that some hawker stalls were closed, having sold all that they had to offer.  But that didn't mean there was any less to see.













The danger of this night market visit was curbed by the fact that we'd just had a mid-afternoon snack at home (though not necessarily by our choice), but that didn't stop us from getting selections of the best or most curious.


We picked up snacks and food for our after-dinner supper and headed home.  But not without me taking a few choice shots (you might have to click on the panoramics to get a better view).



I love the fact that these markets happen once a week as opposed to at home where they happen once in never.  It's such a captivating hustle and bustle that I know I could never tire of.  Especially not while in good company.

No comments: