Tuesday, November 01, 2011

An unexpected Treat

Our first Halloween in the new house was a little too hectic for us to be able to set up shop and hand out candy.  Malcolm and I were both out running pre-epic-trip errands and didn't get home until trick-or-treating was happening in full swing.  It felt a little weird this year since not only were we not handing out candy, but neither of us had participated in ANY Halloween festivities - I didn't even have the chance to dig out my annual devil-horned headband to wear to work.

Malcolm had gotten home a little before me to give our house-sitter a tour but had had the foresight to keep the outdoor and front room lights off to discourage the candy seekers.  I arrived home around 8 o'clock with my haul of stuff shortly after.

I turned on some lights and threw on some comfy shoes because I had to make 3 trips back and forth from the car before I was finally finished bringing things into the house.  With our front foyer now a chaos of suitcases and a random assortment of "things," I took a moment to stand and talk to Malcolm and our house-sitter.  Not 2 minutes into our conversation, I noticed a little shadow outside the door and the quietest little tapping on the pane.

  "Honey, open the door!  It's a trick-or-treater!"

  "But I don't have candy!"

  "I'll get some, just open that door!"

Malcolm fumbled with the lock while I bee-lined for the kitchen.  I grabbed a stash of candy I knew was there and flew to the front door to dole out a hefty handful into the open and eager bag of the little princess that stood there.

  "Aren't you cute!"

And she was.  We watched her make her way back down our steps to the driveway and continued on her way with her mom before we cut the lights and went back into hiding.

However, I was pleased.  Unbeknownst to that little princess, she just saved my Halloween.

No comments: