Saturday, November 12, 2011

During the storm

The rain in the tropics is amazing.  I’ve just experienced my first Malaysian rainstorm.  As the clouds rolled in, the family went about getting ready for the storm.  Windows were closed, electrical outlets were turned off, drying laundry was brought in.  And then came the rain.

At first it was the same as any rainstorm I’d experienced at home in Toronto.  The rain came down steadily and very slowly began to cut through the humidity of the last 2 days.  And then it came down a little harder in a steady downpour of sheets like I’d witnessed in the hardest rains back home.  And then the sky opened up and let down everything it had. 

Bucketfuls fell and drenched the world outside.  Running to and from the cars parked close to awnings was futile as the runners were soaked through anyway.  I know my wipers on high wouldn’t have done a thing to clear my windshield if I was driving my Corolla here.

Then the lightning and thunder rolled in—with intensity.  It was so intense that after the first few lightning strikes I found I was bracing myself for the explosions of thunder that followed…I’ve never done that before.   

The rain fell, the lightning flashed, and the thunder rumbled on and on.  Lightning struck nearby more than once and the thunder crashed loud enough to set off car alarms throughout the neighbourhood.  I planted myself on the couch by the open front doors and windows to watch the show.  While I was in awe, everyone else just took it in stride. 

After more than half an hour, the rain began to subside.  Just as it had crawled in, it crawled away and left a sopping landscape and cool breeze as a reminder it had been there in the first place.  I missed it already.

No comments: