Wednesday, May 21, 2008

More power to the left

My office desk setup is now sure to drive any stranger crazy should they sit down and try to use it. Already my officemates are disgruntled at the fact that I had chosen to go out and buy myself a natural form keyboard that’s not only curved and split down the middle, but also propped up on a rest that angles all the keys away from the user. If ever given the choice to use anyone else’s computer, no one ever chooses mine.

Now, to make it even MORE aggravating to foreigners to my workspace, I’ve decided to try to make my keyboard/mouse setup more ergonomic. With the number-pad and the mouse to the right side of my keyboard, I find that I have to keep shifting myself a little to the left when I’m ready to type. While I’ve seen keyboards online that fix this problem by having the keypad on the left of the alpha-keys, I don’t want to have to buy another keyboard (out of pocket!), and I don’t think that my left-hand is actually smart enough to have any accuracy with punching numbers.

And so, I’ve switched my mouse to the left side of my keyboard, and actually, this is working out quite well. Not only is my workspace more centred (I don’t have to shift back and forth between clicking and typing), but now I can tell when someone comes along to touch my stuff!

“Alright, WHO moved my mouse BACK to the right side of my keyboard?!”

It’s already happened once so far...

Yes, I am a nerd. I am a nerd and proud. I am a nerd, I am proud, and I am ergonomic!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wouldn't it have been easier to shift the keyboard to the left?
- dimps.

melody said...

But the whole point was so I DIDN'T have to shift to the left! All this from Gobi's blog, you know? :)