Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Gripping graduation tails

Did I ever tell you about how I almost didn't graduate this year? Tee-hee. It wasn't due to low marks or insufficient credits or anything, it was simply because as soon as I finished my classes in December, I stopped paying any attention at all to my school and school deadlines. So when I finally decided to check in with school at the end of February, I realized I had missed my chance to file my "intent to graduate" form by a week.

Really, not a big deal to me, but to mom...I was dead if I didn't graduate this year, especially if the reason was due to me just being lazy. I feared for my life for a week, telling no one about my predicament except for Brodder (who sympathized, but still laughed at me). Finally, I got myself into the Registrar's office a week later and begged with tears of sorrow and trepidation in my eyes that they help save me from the wrath of mom. Thankfully, they did: I was going to graduate this year and convocate in June.

I digress.

Well, today was the day that all us to-be-grads had to go into school once more to try to pick up any leftover tickets for our convocation on Friday; each of us are only guaranteed two, so this was our chance to pick-up a third. The Registrar's office opened at 9:30 in the morning so I decided that I would get there to pick up a ticket for Brodder at...9:30.

My logic for this stemmed from the fact that grads don't actually want to go to convocation. After having been out of school for at least a month, who wants to go back and sit in an over-crowded hall for hour after hour, waiting to hear your name announced phonetically incorrectly, and worrying the whole time about tripping and falling on your face in front of hundreds of people? Grads would much rather just have pictures taken standing still in a cap and gown and holding a rolled up sheet of blank paper somewhere nice outside with just the important people surrounding them lovingly. I know I'm one of these grads at heart. But of course mom wants the whole family to be there on Friday, and so...back to this morning.

I arrived promptly at 9:30am...to find a line-up of convocating grads wrapped around the building.

While I had probably correctly counted on the fact that grads don't really care for convocation (why else do they have a link to opt out of it on the website?), I hadn't counted on the fact that everyone else's parents would be just like mine, wanting to share that proud moment with the rest of the family.

And so I joined the end of the line--from where I could actually see the front of the line head-on--and waited. I finished the book I was reading and also had time to chew a piece of gum to oblivion before I got my chance at the ticket lady. Just before my turn came to snatch up someone else's unclaimed tickets, I watched the girl in front of me experience something I'd been fearing the whole time I'd been waiting: she walked out empty-handed.

I panicked. The only reason that people were even at that office that day was to pick up extra tickets. Their parents, like mine, had kicked them out of bed at 7:00 that morning, and had thrown them on the bus to school ordering them to get that priceless extra admission, vowing serious punishment if they didn't return with that coveted slip of blue paper. And here, in front of me, a girl had just been turned away with nothing but her name on yet another waiting list.

The lady at the window called "next" and I entered in a daze--no more tickets...mother's going to hurt me. I handed her my student card absentmindedly as my thoughts were preoccupied with scenes of my having to tell my mom that I wasn't able to get that extra ticket while her skin turned Hulk green and she smashed me through the kitchen wall out to the garden in the back. Suddenly, I was snapped out of my day-mare as the lady at the window was handing me back my student card...as well as a blue convocation ticket.

I stumbled out of the office in disbelief, staring at the blue slip in my hand, feeling like I was Charlie and hand just found the last golden ticket. Then it hit me: I'm a nerd!

Yes, my saving grace this morning was the fact that I was a nerd. A bigger nerd than the girl in line in front of me; a bigger nerd than most of those grads lined up this morning. I was a member of an elite group of nerds that was graduating with that complex degree known as an Honours Bachelor of Arts, while all the masses in line were graduating with a something or other of Science.

Muahahaha!

My lesser populated ceremony was taking place in the morning on Friday, while those science geeks were slated for the afternoon. swEEEEt. Saved by my scholarly savvy, I went ahead and picked up a coffee for myself while I called mom to tell her the good news.
...

Listening:
Pussycat Dolls
PCD


Alright, not exactly what might be considered "high-class" listening, but it's so catchy. And not to mention, they're HOT. So what if only Nicole sings? She's good at it...and she's HOT. Admittedly, I was a non-listener until I decided to download their latest video because Sherman told me to watch it. I did, I became curious, and voila...their album's on repeat on both my computer and Nano. If I was ever looking for some booty-shaking music, I've found it.

No comments: