Wednesday, March 09, 2005

"Now in this game, Colin, you go around asking everyone what their gender is, but you don't believe them and insist on checking yourself."

I wonder what it's like to be typecast as a hermaphrodite? How does that feel to know that casting directors take one look at you and decide that your physical appearance as well as your general nuances are just so that they cast you to play the sexually ambiguous character all the time? To know that you are neither a manly woman nor a womanly man but instead, something exactly in between? Do you go home feeling proud enough to brag to others that YOU won the role because you didn't look decidely enough like anything? I suppose it could be a positive trait as your wardrobe options would immediatly double and there would never be the issue of getting caught walking into the wrong public bathroom.

Regardless of my stupid ramblings, I really DO wonder what sort of effect this sort of accomplishment would have on a person--man, woman, or actual hermaphrodite. What raised my curiosity? The actor in Constantine who played Gabriel; Tilda Swinton. She also played Orlando in some crappy video rendition, but in both roles I have now seen her in, she was the ambiguously oriented character. I personally think her masculine role as an archangel made her HOT, but that's just my (possibly lesbian, though not necessarily so) opinion of her acting.

By the way, in case you're wondering where the title came from, it was borrowed (and most certainly butchered) from Who's Line is it Anyway. They were all playing House Party (I think that's what that is) and that's what Colin's role was. I remember this as one of the episodes that cracked me up the worst because in Colin's quest for gender verification, he managed to cup Ryan with the most precise timing any ad-lib comedian could have asked for. It still makes me ROTFL just to think about it...

No comments: