Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Bluh?*

That was the best I could do yesterday when it came to making sense in organized writing. I went into my midterm fairly blindly yesterday and managed to stare first at the exam question and then the exam booklet blankly for the first 10 minutes. After that, I managed to cross out my first three attempts to write anything inside the booklet; that's not to mention that I'd already written my course code in the DATE line on the front of the booklet...after JUST having written the course code on the line above.

Needless to say, I managed to write SOME stuff down, pertaining to the essay question (I hope) and scooted out of there, 5 minutes to the end in order to get a teeny headstart on my next assignment, due in my second class of that day. After grabbing a bite to eat and a much desired Tim's coffee, I read the article and then pulled over some paper on which to write my response.

Bluh?

Once again, those damn words evaded me. I started my assignment over twice before I actually started to sound coherent. There were probably some gaps in my argument, but I couldn't be bothered to go back to patch them up. Meh. It's done and handed in, out of my control. That's all that matters to me at this point.

* Bluh is the only sound that Nitz can make when Kimmy comes around to say hi. If you know what I mean, great. If you don't...too bad. :)
...

Surprise!

Shmelly can be so...shmelly sometimes.

This past weekend was Shmelly's birthday weekend. Knowing he was tried of planning parties and events for himself, I decided that I was going to do it for him. So I did. Well, I tried. Shmelly, being who and what he is, ruined it ALL!

On Friday, he was just going to have a quiet family dinner and then spend the rest of the night probably quietly sitting at home. So for Friday, I planned to take him out after dinner on a birthday sort of surprise date night; watch a movie, get some dessert, maybe take two of his friends who were might've been at dinner anyway.

On Saturday, he had a volleyball tournament and afterwards was going to a club to meet up with others for both his birthday and theirs. I decided NOT to plan anything for that day.

On Sunday, I had Squiggly tell Shmelly that he was going to take him to the Auto Show and to meet him downtown that day at noon. What was REALLY happening was I was taking Shmelly to the Raptors game and just needed Squig's help with an excuse to get Shmelly downtown. And then I had planned that after the game, we'd go to the new Jack Astor's restaurant down there where I would have already assembled all of his friends to meet us there to surprise him.

Action packed weekend, right? Well, let's see what ACTUALLY happened...

Friday. Dinner plans with his family were cancelled and rather than just keeping dinner quiet with the two of us and two of his friends, Shmelly called ALL of his friends and had them meet us at dinner. So much for my "quiet planning." However, I wasn't mad or anything. Dinner was fun and a bunch of us went out to sing karaoke afterwards until we drank and sang ourselves hoarse.

Saturday. Everything actually went off without a hitch...except that Shmelly's team came in second instead of first...my team lost completely. Shmelly slept the entire time from leaving volleyball until we got to the club...and then passed right back out again afterwards.

Sunday. Remember how I'd arranged to have everyone meet us to surprise Shmelly after the game? Now remember that family dinner on Friday was cancelled. So, guess what happened? Dinner was rescheduled to Sunday evening at 5pm. *sigh* I had to cancel on everyone after twisting them around their schedules. Ah well. At least I still had the Raptors with which to surprise him, right? Haha...

So, we're on the TTC, heading down to Union Station because from Union Station you can either turn west and go to the Auto Show at the Metro Convention Centre, or turn east and head to the Raptors game at the ACC. When we got up to the surface, I handed a card to Shmelly and as he read it, I began leading him in the direction of the ACC. The card went something like this:
Surprise! Happy Birthday! I hope you're not going to be upset, but I have a confession to make. There is no Squiggly waiting for us at Union Station. In fact, there were never any Auto Show tickets either. It was just an elaborate plan to get you downtown for one last surprise. Please don't be mad at myself or Squiggly for having conspired to deceive you--I hope this surprise makes up for it. Happy Birthday!
So after he finished reading, I handed him the tickets. Unfortunately he didn't look too happy about it all. As sort of rejected I felt, I continued to lead him onto the ACC to take our not so surprising seats...or so I thought...

Shmelly: Uh, hun, why are we heading to the ACC? Isn't the car show the other way?
Me: Uh, hun, did you actually LOOK at the tickets I just handed you?
Shmelly: No, why? *looks at tickets closely* Oh, OH!!! Oh cool! Yay!
Me: Stupid.

Thank god he just hadn't read the tickets yet. Asking about it afterward, he had thought that we were still going to the Auto Show, but he thought I'd planned it to be just the two of us...yeah, great surprise. Turns out he was thrilled and surprised afterall. So, both of us together and happily took our seats (which, as kind as he was to point out, were the farthest seats he'd ever sat in before to watch the game from...the killjoy) to watch the steel drummers play the national anthem, the Chinese acrobat kick bowls onto her head from a top a 15 foot unicycle, and the Raptors BEAT the Lakers while earning us a free slice of pizza at the same time.

Happy Birthday, Shmelly--and thanks for ruining it all. ;)

No comments: