Saturday, February 28, 2004

You Learn A New Thing Everyday...

Although (or maybe because) I'm studying English, new terms are always popping up in my daily conversations with other people. Some of them rather amuse me, and I thought I'd start a list. So, in hopes of enlightening the general public, here we go...

wavos - n. Courage. Guts. Balls. Nerve. Audacity. You know, when you say that someone's got balls? Well, you can use this word like that too.
    Example: "I can't belive he had the wavos to do that!!!"

pittle - v. or n. Pee or the act of going pee.
    Example: "I have to pittle soooo bad!!! I've been holding my pittle since the start of the movie!!!"

the five-knuckled shuffle - proper n. Guys can do this, girls can do this for guys, and it isn't a dance, though apparently it can be just as or even more fun.
    Example: "Not having had a date for months, his five-knuckled shuffle on Friday nights was becoming routine."

the shocker - proper n. An action with the hands splayed like the Vulcan Peace Greeting. Guys apparently do this to girls. Best described by: "two in the pink, two in the stink."
    Example: Actually, I don't think I can give an example for this...not anything I could be proud of...

So there you have it; four new terms to incorporate into your already vast vocabularies of slang. Perhaps one day these terms will come into general use, just like the word "like." I read an article on that the other day. I suppose I would have posted it had Teeder not clipped it out himself to give to Gracuu. Anyway, that article mentioned that the word "like" is not incorrect, and is just an instance of our language evolving even futher away from the likes of Shakespeare. That said, you can pummel or give the shocker to any five-knuckled shuffler with the wavos to tell you that using the word "like" to denote a quotation is grammatically incorrect. And then if you so choose, you can pittle on them while they're down, just like a true champion of language. :)

No comments: