Monday, February 16, 2004

Happy Belated Money Mongering Valentine's Day

And so what did YOU do for that gloriously commercialized and materialistic period of time that has somehow been termed a "holiday" by our society? From what my scattered memory banks can recollect from tidbits I've acquired over the years, St. Valentine's Day (yes, there is a "Saint" in front of the name) has something to do with a guy that died hundreds of years ago for a religious reason probably having nothing to do with showering his female lover with expensive gifts or rose petals. Some money mongering super-florist probably accidentaly "misinterpreted" the story of St. Valentine a while ago in hopes to make a few bucks. He was probably a cousin of the money mongering super-poultry that "misinterpreted" the rising of Christ to suddenly have something to do with the search for lost chocolate eggs. Whoever those men were, no one can dispute the fact that if they were out to make a buck, they were GENIUSES...but I digress.

I spent the first part of my day working, and then the second half I was treated to a dozen roses with a home-made card, a home-cooked meal, a show of never-before-seen (by me) internet downloads--this included Vince Carter's 5 famous dunks from a few years back, and footage of the Star Wars Kid (bwahahahaha!)--and some good ol' QT. I'm not one that needs fancy or expensive paraphernalia--let alone ANY paraphernalia at all--unlike the girls that apparently exist in Pablo's imaginary world (read his post). I wonder what he did for St. Valentine's Day? Probably not much.

The card I made for my special someone this year featured a Mutts comic with its rendition of that classic quatrain:
Roses are Red,
Violets are blue,
I think I'm falling
In love with you.
So it's understood that one can fall in love, but then I think that the valid question that follows then, is can one fall out of love? And to push it the step farther, which one is harder to do?

**Personal Side-Note to a certain someone: Men aren't always bastards; sometimes they're just the friends looking out for the best for us. There's never a "good" time for these things. What do you think is harder? To live a lie? Or to face the truth? Love you.

No comments: