Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Wittgenstein's rhinoceros story

Every piece of art tells a story. When someone brings an idea to life, a story is told, and it is up to the individual experience to try to learn that story. To hear it, read it, see it, feel it. While an artist can only hope that you will see the messages in art the way s/he wants to you, there is a guarantee that you will look and you will at least wonder.
There is no rhinoceros.

Wittgenstein. Even if you don't believe that a piece is art, you're thinking about it in the context of art which is all that an artist would like you to do. Why is something art? What makes it art? What is the message it is trying to convey? What is the story being told?

There's always more than one story, and maybe that's why I like art so much--all mediums. Because even the times when I don't "get it" and don't understand the story that the artist was trying to have me see, I'll still see a story. The story of how something was inspired, or maybe how the materials are holding together, or how a certain part was crafted. And even if these stories that I give to these pieces are wrong, they're still stories and they've still got me thinking, regardless if it was in the wrong direction. That's what it's all about, isn't it? About thinking?

Oh, I went to Nuit Blanche this weekend, by the way. I loved it, as usual; I got to write so many stories for myself that night. Next year, uninterrupted and in my own shoes I plan to walk from dusk till dawn.

No comments: