Friday, October 10, 2008

I live in a city

Sex and the City

I spent the evening in sweats too comfortable to be my own, so, accordingly, I made myself comfortable. Then, at first, it was only because I'd screwed up a line of my knitting that I finally noticed and HAD to fix, but then, even after I'd seen the "NO" that broke (breaks) my heart, I couldn't stop.

If guys were ever to find themselves stuck on what to say to a girl about anything, a smart (and very patient) guy just has to pick up any copy of any chick flick and the answers--though he may not agree with or understand any of them--are all there.

Being such a popular movie (amongst the ladies) I thought I would have no trouble finding all of the quotes that I wanted to use from the movie to write about here. Apparently the audience who paid enough attention to the movie to then select and compile what they considered to be the best and most important quotes has a very different option of words from myself.

In lieu of the exact words, I'll make up some of my own.

---
When having trouble with something, you're thinking too much. Put whatever it is that you're stuck on away, climb into bed, and get a good sleep. When you wake up in the morning, you'll know what you have to do.

Sometimes you just have to put all of your logic aside and just go with what you feel.

How do you know that something that hurt you so badly, that's been apologized for and forgiven (though not forgotten) won't happen to you again?

Love is about you and me, and no one else. Just you and me.

Just show up and say "I will love you" and that's enough.
---

And then there was the whole idea of wiping the slate clean. When you love someone so much, despite what they may have done to you or you have done to them, an option is not to necessarily forget, but to forgive and leave whatever it was in the past and move forward together. Even though this was the second time I watched the movie, the idea never really occured to me--maybe I wasn't paying attention. He had never meant to hurt her, she had never meant to drive him away, and then after months of apologies and talk, they met on the bridge and left it behind them together. When you love someone enough, nothing's impossible. When the one you love is by your side, you can do anything.

"Ever thine ever mine ever ours."

No comments: