Monday, April 14, 2008

Quote of the Moment:

    "I used to feel so alone in the city. All those gazillions of people and then me, on the outside. Because how do you meet a new person? I was very stumped by this for many years. And then I realized, you just say, 'hi.' They may ignore you. Or you may marry them. And that possibility is worth that one word."
    --Augusten Burroughs
...

I didn't write it down, but the other quote of today that stuck to me for different reasons came from the financial advisor that came into work today to do a presentation on RRSPs. He basically said that "[when it comes to finances] you can't rely on anyone else but yourself. Not your parents, not your friends, not your husband or wife." There were a chorus of nods in the boardroom, but I'm not sure that I want to agree.

While it's true that you can't rely on anyone to take care of you, I like to know that I DO have people that I can lean on when melancholy finds me on a sunny afternoon. Someone no farther than a phone call away, someone who will come when I cry out. Someone who may have a million other responsibilities, but who will find a way to drop all of them in order to wipe what single tears I may shed.

What's left of my $5 cup isn't lovely enough tonight.

No comments: