Monday, November 26, 2007

Enough of too much

She makes him smile...laugh, even. As artistic as he is, she shares an appreciation for the same things; things that most would simply glance over before moving on. His subtle insecurities are simply accepted by her and she meets him more than halfway, surrendering to his self-imposed isolation. She is warm and soft to the touch. She fits in his arms.

Yet despite it all, he forces her out. With the barest of farewells, he cuts her off and disappears. She was never too close, but if there was ever a chance that she could have been, she never will be.

She will never wonder why.

...

More is more. Sometimes less is more. Sometimes more is too much. And sometimes more is never enough.

I admit, I've kissed Bear Bear's head about thirty times while just reading through my email. As much as I love him, I'd rather be kissing someone who'll kiss back.


I don't know what exactly it is that I want from someone else, and I know I'm not about to be tumbling head first into the first opportunity that comes by. But that doesn't mean that I'm not impatient. I rue the concept of mature adults--I once believed in it, once had it, but it seems of a time passed and long gone. What you see on screen is never what happens in life--you don't stay; you get on the plane.

I remember the days when I used to feign feigned envy for friends who led the single life. How the grass is always greener. Empowered as I may be, I can't actually have whatever I want. I can't have the past. I can't have what's not mine. I can't have what won't have me. And sometimes I just can't--I just can't play anymore, because it really is all a game until you can trust another enough to let your guard down. Until then, you impress, are impressed, are en guard.

I wish I could just let someone in.
...

A moment goes by and their eyes meet shyly one first and last time. No words are spoken but they both feel as though a whole lifetime of conversation is passing through this gaze. Slowly, the door that he has held open inches from the frame is closed once more as their lips meet. Their kiss is soft and crumbles the wall of tension between them in that moment of admission.

They pull away, their eyes full of amazement. She suddenly comes to herself and rushes out the door, too quickly to utter a farewell. He is left, with the door still in hand, watching her figure retreat down the hallway.

3 comments:

ehbaba said...

I have never once envied my single friends. There are two very simple reasons. First, I don't do any of the things single people love to do as single people. Second, I have to love. I am unhappy when I can't love. I want to give all of myself to the one person who deserves it and to give it well. What I want from someone else is to be the person that deserves my love.

Anonymous said...

you get on the plane...gotta love liv.
and then 3 months later you get a package with super-cheese pictures. tehe.

melody said...

ehbaba, I can't really explain why, but I'm so glad you wrote what you wrote--it's different from what you usually write.

It moved me. yeye.