Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Proudly Nonsensical

I've been in bed for a while now, it's late, and my brain still refuses to slow down and sleep.

I want to post about what so tickled mine and dimps's funny bones tonight, but while my brain won't sleep, it also won't function either. Dimps, Avril and I had yet another girly movie night on Sunday. We watched Sense and Sensibility. Tonight, dimps coaxed me into her home on the promise of some (not too spicy) instant noodles and we watched Pride and Prejudice. Both movies had all parties crying rejectful accusations at the screens.

    "He's too old for her!"
    "She's too young for him!"
    "He's totally going to cheat on her!"
    "Oh, and sure, now they're going to fall in love!"
    "You can't do that!"
    "He's such an ass!"
    "Who cast this movie?!"
    "Nobody does that in real life!"
    "Oh, and it just happens to rain!"
    "Why can't I have one of those?!"
    "I could just eat him!"
    "They're so cute!"
    "He is soooooo unbelievable!"
    "Love doesn't happen like that!"
    "Oh, yeah, riiiiiiiiiiight!"
    "Awkwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard!"

You get the hint. And while both movies were based on Jane Austen novels, the connecting factor for us wasn't the author, nor the similar settings or characters. It was...the crotch flaps.

Yes, I just said crotch flaps. Whenever these graced the screen on one of the male characters, it didn't matter how crucial, how emotional, how heartfelt the moment was, all we could focus on were the damned FLAPS!!!

Seriously.




These were the best shots I could find to illustrate what I'm trying to complain about. These damn flaps were almost as bad as the crotch cups from Ever After



Again, my illustration resources are scarce, but I'm sure you get the idea. Crotch flaps were such a distraction, I dare say we missed much of each movie due to the complaints we had to make about the hideousness of them and the absolute GALL of the wardrobe manager to decide to be SO true to the era.

With no detailed explanation, what made the Crotch Flaps so much worse tonight, was when Dimps learned to use the Slo-mo, zoom, and A-B Repeat functions on her DVD player.

My face and body still hurt.

"I love I love I love you."
"I love you...most ardently."

2 comments:

ehbaba said...

I LOOOOOOVE PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. I CAN WATCH THAT ALL DAY.


And how are we this evening, Mrs. Darcy...Mrs. Darcy...Mrs. Darcy...Mrs. Darcy...Mrs. Darcy...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww

Anonymous said...

goddam. those crotch flaps. way to be so mature mel. really. blooo-up...
that was a great night though.
don't worry, we have the bbc one coming and then it'll be hours and hours of mr darcy...
- dimps.