Friday, May 04, 2007

I still got it

So, today was the day after a loooooong night of partying it up with the ladies at the Brant House. I was tired. My hair was still crunchy with hairspray and lashed back from my face in the essential "bad-hair-day" style. It was jeans day and BOY did I live that up with a touch of sweats. I was all four-eyed and geeky (who's idea was it to party on a week-night again?!). It was the end of the day.

I was stuttering home down the Allen and, as always, stuck on the off-ramp. The day was beautiful though, and I had my windows down. In my own zone, I almost didn't notice the "hi" that had managed to span the distance between cars and warble into my car over the volume of the that danged "Umbrella" song. Against all odds, I DID hear it and turned to face the source.

A car packed clown-style with guys was inching up next to mine in the traffic. Not yet out of the zone, I lifted my arm and auto-returned the wave that was given to me by the driver. Half of my brain realized what was happening and started to smile at the whole situation--the other half of my brain was still in the zone and pulled ahead and away because my lane had inexplicably cleared. As they disappeared from my peripheral I hear the driver thank me for returning the wave--I only smiled more.

I still got it.

But why the smile, you ask? It wasn't because I was all high from still having It (I knew that all along), nor from their complimentary Stares having made my day, no. That smile grew across my lips because I realized that had they pulled up even just a second earlier...
.
.
.
.
...they would have caught me picking my nose. That's why I was smiling--I was too lazy to laugh.

No comments: