Wednesday, January 25, 2006

It's supposed to be snowy, dammit!

Winter's finally made his appearance (Winter here is being personified as a man not because of the popular "Old Man Winter", but because only a man could be so cruelly cold). My car is struggling to start, I kick myself if I ever forget a single piece of my winter wear, and my boogers freeze the moment I set foot outside.

I was thinking of trying to leave my coat in the car and make a run for the Science Centre today as Sherman and I went to see Body Worlds 2, but the gusts of wind bullying my car off its straight course down the road advised me otherwise. The really big and cool metal i-beam thermometer outside the Science Centre told us it was only -6 outside, but my freezing extremities were telling me otherwise as I sprinted to the safety of my CRV.

I used to think we Canadians were tougher than all other cold weather inhabitants of the globe. Stories have been circled where friends have wandered Chicago or other Northern States in just toques and hoodies and have only had to flash the Maple Leaf emblem on their shirts to explain their light outdoor attire compared to everyone else's winter parkas, gloves, scarves, and boots. But what with the unusually tepid temperatures this winter, my natural Canadian Cold-shield has been weakened and I'm feeling the effects of even the slightest chill nowadays. I suck. However, as weakened as my cold-shield already is, I'm totally going to demolish what little insensitivity to the cold I have left when I leave for the Dominican. It's a risk I'm just going to have to take...and that's okay by me.

Go see Body Worlds 2 at the Science Centre. The exhibit itself is fairly small, but the displays they have are creepily mind-blowing (I actually held onto someone's once functional liver!) and of course one-of-a-kind. Make a day of it. Take the two hours in the exhibit, and then spend the rest of your time remembering what it was like to be a kid, wowed by the simple wonders of science.

I wonder if he's cold?

No comments: