Saturday, January 31, 2009

Had to be there

I haven't laughed so hard in what seems a very long time. Tonight was a very fun(ny) night in great company; exactly what the lonely heart needed.

I realized tonight more than ever that friendship isn't always about being nice to another person--it's about being your honest self with another person who will not only accept you for who you are, but who will appreciate you for you, no matter how bizarre it might be.

    "If I didn't know you guys were friends, I'd have thought you were enemies."

I stand by the fact that true friends are the ones who trust in the strength of their bond to the point where they'll put it on the line if something's important enough. Case in point: I cared more for my friend's happiness in life and love so much so that I put our friendship on the line by telling her she shouldn't marry the one she was engaged to. We didn't speak for months. And then she called--he was gone. She was my friend, and still is--perhaps now more than ever.

Your friends are the ones who aren't afraid to be brutally honest with you to save you from something worse.

    "There's parsley in your teeth."
    "Those pants make you look fat."
    "That vacuum's too expensive."
    "She's bad for you."
    "You deserve more than that."

And in turn, your friends are the ones that you listen to; whose advice you don't just shrug off or get defensive towards. The perfect friendship is the most symbiotic one--you're there for each other.

And the perfect relationship, is when you find that the one you love is also your best friend.
...

A bit of a digression, but the end point is the same--I love those girls.

3 comments:

ehbaba said...

"You cost us tier 3"

:S

ehbaba said...

And it was also the first time I threw up from laughing so hard

melody said...

Hahaha, well, I guess if we're going to keep listing them--friendship is when you can know you'll still be friends after hitting each other so hard you burst blood vessels.