Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Pick your poison

"My body misses your body."
...

The conversation that closed my working day was with someone I didn't even work with. Debating the position each of us were in in our single lives, it suddenly slid into place that we were both recovering addicts. Just as people can get addicted to partying, nicotine, alcohol, or drugs, they can just as easily find themselves addicted to being in a relationship.

Sure, it sounds ridiculous, but the more we threw the notion around, the more it made sense.

You start off as a normal person.
You start off easy; a few dates here and there.
Soon, you find that you like this new feeling that being part of a pair gives you, and you start spending whole evenings, days, weeks, immersed in this.
Suddenly, you discover that you're pouring lots of time, money, and effort into keeping this new sensation going (sure it's a poor investment, but it makes you feel great).
Friends start to notice that you've dropped from the scene, that you're not around as often being too involved in your relationship.
Family begins to call you, wondering where you are and how you're doing--if you need anything.
Up to a few years pass before you find that you've lost the love for it; you're in it out of habit and because your body and mind has just become accustomed to and dependent on the relationship.
You start to become inexplicably irritable and short tempered.
You decide it's time to give up the relationship.

You quit.

At first, you feel great, liberated even; you believe that you don't need a relationship and that you never did in the first place.
Some people make it out cold turkey, but others struggle.
If you don't make it out, you start to feel susceptible, inadequate.
Your first and strongest notion is to jump right back into a relationship--be it with the same person, or with the first new body to come along.
If you have a good support system of friends or family, they'll keep you out of it, but the moment you're alone, you start to doubt yourself, think too much about the things you used to do in a relationship.
You feel cold, alone.
The first few weeks, months, feel like an eternity of solitude while all you want to do is to hold hands, cuddle, and come home to someone's arms.
After those tough months, you finally start to remember what it's like to be on your own.
You call up your friends, spend time with your family.
You go out often.
You meet new people, forge new friendships.
You might even find that you reject a few offers for companionship.
You become yourself again, independent, fun, and free of the relationship.

Not so strange, once we thought about it. It was a lot of verbal spewage that seemed to make an amusing sort of sense.

As always, I know I'm a strong person when it comes to my sense of self, and I still am. I know I can go out do what I want, and come back alone and that's okay. I know I can go out, enjoy myself, and come back feeling independent. I know that with or without my support system, I can say no in the face of temptation. I know that I can go ahead, have some cake and eat it too with little to no guilt. I know that I am disciplined enough to not jump at any first opportunity to arise. I know I have more strength in regards to resisting the addiction of the relationship.

But sometimes I just want to be weak.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love is not an easy thing. Falling in love is always easy.
Falling out of love is easy.
Real love is realizing that there is always going to be change and that growth. To not change and challenge ones self is to settle.


SIC

Anonymous said...

Dear SIC, I'm sorry to say your comment makes no sense and I fail to understand how it relates in any way to Melody's blog about relationships.

I wish you luck in your quest to find "real love".

Anonymous said...

Perhaps to bridge the gap between SIC and anonymous, there have been some interesting studies done on the topic. Some results suggest that being in love with someone and loving someone are two separate things as far as your brain is concerned. Going along the lines of Melody's post, then, the trick seems to be figuring it out if your dynamic with the person is one of being in love (which can come and go) or of actually loving them (which seems to be fairly stable). From my experience, the trouble really arises when one person is in love and the other person loves. The process seems to be more or less the same in terms of getting over it, with the exception that the person who loves generally takes much longer to get back on track than the person who was just in love. But that's a different story altogether.

Anyway, everyone will read something different into things, depending on their particular bank of experiences.

-ah-

Anonymous said...

You know what, Boo, I read this and all I can think is... Yeah, I know the feeling. I know all too well. And you know I know because you are my rehab centre, my suicide watch friend, my support system. I hate being so far. Then again, you guys are my most successful long distance relationship after all. I digress. I'm coming home for the last week of October, have that blue blanket blob thingy ready for me, okay? Nuff. - Boo