Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Inbetween coming and going

"Come here..."
...

Driving down the Allen it happened again. I was inching my way up the off-ramp, and I came up beside another car. Focusing on the car ahead, I suddenly found my gaze drawn to the side by some sort of minute movement; I turned to find the driver next to me, smiling at me. My immediate reaction was to turn away before having made it obvious that I'd seen him. At that moment, the traffic started to move, and I pulled up ahead. Safely out of view from my neighbour, I reassessed.

What was I so scared of? Two metals frames, two panes of glass, and a chunk of roadway in between; what was it about a friendly set of teeth that had me freaked out? I shook my head at myself. Ridiculous.

By then, my lane had progressed much more than my neighbour's, and I was far ahead, but I was also stuck at a red light. Eyes to the rear-view mirror, I waited. Just as my light turned green, he caught up, and smiled again at me. This time, I smiled back. I was better than just okay; my smile was real.
...

She is lying on the futon, rustling through snacks on the table when he comes and sits down, leaning back on her outstretched legs. The TV flickers scenes of an unknown movie that neither is paying much attention to. Her visit was impromptu; she'd found some of his free time and had taken advantage of it. A silence passes comfortably before he speaks.
    "Why are you here?"
    "Because you let me be here."
    "No, really."
    "I don't know, I suppose you keep me out of trouble."
    "How is it I keep you out of trouble?"
    "Being here, I'm not out on my own, doing stupid things that might get me into trouble."
    "Hah, what, like the United Way?"
    "Sure, yeah, like the United Way."
Another silence comfortably passes before he shakes his head and snickers. She looks up at him.
    "What?"
Still snickering, he leans in towards her, lowering his voice as he responds.
    "I'll unite
your way..."
She laughs and allows herself to be enveloped.

...

Stemmed from a combusted spontaneity, we found ourselves entangled in arms and legs and elbows and rums and gins and grapes and tuna and pictures and sweets and like and love and role-play and knowing glances and fictions and truths and advice and retorts and dancing and friendship and family and warmth.

The hardest part of the whole night was not the drive or the lateness or even the tough love, it was having to leave each other at the end. There are some moments that you never want to end.
...

My brain fully believes that "in between" and "in front" and "in case" are compound words spelled all in one go.
...

Tonight I was excitedly enveloped in the arms of someone that I truly felt wants me, needs me, and loves me. It felt good.

No comments: