Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Fishing, big fish, and big definitions

    "The way you do it, see, is you cast out a lot of lines. If you cast out enough, something's bound to bite."
    "Dude, trust me; I've cast out ALL of my lines and nothing's biting."

I give up.
...

    “All men are jerks, except for you.”
    “Actually, I’d like to amend that—I’m trying to be a jerk now. Sorry.”
...

    "I should have made those guys sit with us."
    "If they sat with us, ESPECIALLY while I was still 10 shades of red, I would have puked in my coffee."
    "I would have saved you if they came over. I am the Ultimate Wingman."
    "How the f--k do you explain your friend puking in her coffee cup and then passing out from being sooo red? Wingman me out of that!"
    "'Oh, don't worry about the puking... just means that she likes you...I mean...err...that she doesn't...well...never mind...BLACKHAWK DOWN!'"
...

ADD - abbr. attention deficit disorder

attention deficit disorder - n. A syndrome, usually diagnosed in childhood, characterized by a persistent pattern of impulsiveness, a short attention span, and often hyperactivity, and interfering especially with academic, occupational, and social performance.

career - n. 1. an occupation or profession, esp. one requiring special training, followed as one's lifework: He sought a career as a lawyer.
2. a person's progress or general course of action through life or through a phase of life, as in some profession or undertaking: His career as a soldier ended with the armistice.

career ADD - n. A syndrome, usually diagnosed via ventures into different occupations or professions, characterized by a persistent pattern of impulsive job-changing, a short attention span for positional responsibilities, and often hyperactivity in tasks other than the one at hand, and interferring especially with academic, occupational, and some social performance.
The truth was, I was treading water and had been for some time. If you're wondering why a thirty-something woman who had gone to all the trouble of attending a university and slogging through medieval allegorical texts had risen no higher on the career food chain than cafe manager, I don't blame you. I wondered myself. And the best answer I'd come up with was that I hadn't figured out anything better--not yet. If I were to ever have a full-fledged vocation, as opposed to a half-assed vocation, I needed to love it and, in my experience, it isn't always easy to figure out what you love. You'd think it would be, but it isn't. Also, if you stay in it for any length of time, like anyplace else, a cafe becomes a world.
    -- "Love Walked In," Marisa de los Santos

Finding out what you're made for can take a lifetime. Society demands that you figure it out by the time you're finishing school; early 20s. Doing the math, how are you supposed to know what you're going to truly love when you've only seen a quarter of all that you will come to see and know over a lifetime? Why is there all this pressure of NEEDING to KNOW? Those who are lucky, know early what they love to do. Those who are luckier have the support of others who let them take as much time as they need to figure things out.
...

My amazing hour is apparently 10 o'clock in the morning...shitty.

Things that warmed me from the inside this weekend:
  • - sleeping in the crook of an arm
  • - double-sided tape
  • - bachelor-style omelettes
  • - JFC reunion
  • - unabashed omelettes
  • - the ultimate cock-block
  • - the innovation of omelette-omelettes
  • - mother's intuition
  • - "I'd take care of you."
  • - nuzzling in to the nape of a neck
  • - the seed nearly sown


Love is lovely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Louie's spikey hair looks as comfy as it felt. Nuff u Boobie.