Wednesday, October 03, 2007

How I made it through the day

"You're right, I do."

"You disturber of stool."

"Like throwing a hotdog down a hallway."

"Well, despite how you might feel, you still look great today."

"Why, can you suggest something more interesting for me to do?"
"I bet I can."
...

Words are always up for interpretation by the reader. The message intended might not be the one conveyed. Even in print or in a clear conversation, you can never be sure that you're not risking a game of Broken Telephone. Part has to do with what is said, part is what is heard, and the rest is the part having to do with what is expected.

Clear messages are rare due to the number of factors needed to convey one. The speaker must speak honestly, actually meaning and believing what they say. The listener must be patient and attentive--not a detail must be lost. And while they may not have to share the same view, both must be on the same wavelength, truthfully realizing either their agreement or disagreement, and being understanding of why.

Stubborn by necessity, to submit to another would be to compromise yourself and your beliefs.

Even with the time to sit, stare, review, edit, and craft, I understand right now that my words will still be garbled to those who are not me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i understand you mel.

- dimps

ehbaba said...

WORD.

Seriously...more likely than not...no one really knows what the heck I'm talking about.

Although in my case, it has more to do with my rapid cursive-talk than the meaning of my words.

Anonymous said...

Umm yeah. Not to me. I get exactly what you say always. Will a plastic one do? Love u Boo.

ehbaba said...

"Imagine how well he'd do with FOUR balls"