Friday, October 19, 2007

Back-up

    "Hey,"
    "Hey, just called to give you some inside information: don't do it."
    "Really?"
    "Yeah. Just heard it."
    "Point duly noted."
    "Good."
...

I was just thinking that sometimes, having a back-up team is a good thing. While you're your own individual and free to make your own decisions, it's always nice when there's another on the inside who can give you a second opinion. Some decisions are too hard to make by yourself; some paths too difficult to travel alone.
...

    "Am I overreacting about this?"
    "Yes."
    "That's what I thought."
...

It's rare that you can find friends that care enough about you to deliver the truth unabashedly. Those are the ones that know that no matter what the outcome, you'll still value them for who they are, not just what they said. They're also the ones that will accept you after you come crawling back, fallen from not having heeded their warnings or good advice; though not necessarily without sneaking in the "I told you so" some where in there.

I used to cower from the idea of being brutally honest. I've found that I've grown a new found appreciation for it. The truth can hurt, but in the end, it's the truth and if you shy from it you're only lying to yourself. Some of my favourite people are my favourite for the reason that they fearlessly give you the answers that you ask of them--sugar-coating unheard of. But deny it all you want--the truth will find you, and they were the ones there that were willing to offer it to you in the first place. That's balls. That's friendship.

2 comments:

ehbaba said...

So if I have this giant booger hanging on the tip of my nose/side of my face, I can count on you to tell me?

melody said...

ABSOLUTELY. Funny, just before I read your comment, I FOUND a big booger hanging from my nose. I was appalled to know that no one had told ME about it.