Friday, July 29, 2005

Write this

I was offended today as some guy came in to sit on the patio and proceeded to tell ME how I should be writing. The NERVE! And what made it worse was that he was a physiology student. A second-year student. And HE was telling ME how to write? I think not! It was all I could do to stand there and serve him with a smile. I just kept nodding, doing my best not to rip his head off to beat the rest of his body with it.

"You didn't study the 'writing process' in school? Well, the first step to writing is, well, writing."

No shit, Sherlock. I wasn't aware that they had classes for the obvious. As far as I know, you can't really teach creativity out of a textbook. It can be encouraged, but not taught. And also as far as I'm concerned, just because a book suggests that writers spend an hour or so just writing down rambling pages every morning, that doesn't mean that it is law that a writer must do so.

I write what I want to, when I want to. I let my creativity loose and allow my inspiration to guide me. Whether that's at 9 o'clock in the morning or now at 3 o'clock in the wee hours, it doesn't make a difference.

Good luck in second-year physiology, dickhead.

1 comment:

Bar said...

Wow.. someone got to you. This guy must really deserve a beating. Did you by any chance give him an extra napkin for his verbal diarrhea?