Friday, July 08, 2005

Safe and sound

The pseudo-hermit I am, it takes a little while for me to catch up on the current newsflashes (I don't like to watch the news and will read the paper only when it's available). Anyway, by the time I heard about the London bombings, it was already old news. Despite that fact, I felt sick to my stomach to know that
  1. yet another country could fall prey to the anger of others.
  2. my friends--people I know and care about--were in that country, in that city at the time of the attacks.
Honestly, all the news about bombings and fighting and wars overseas seemed so distant and unrelated to my life until it suddenly came a step closer by the incidents in London. HC and Lainie have already emailed to let everyone know they're alright, but it was all a scary ordeal. It still is.

My heart goes out to all those affected.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HC here...
Coming from Toronto, this was the first time that I've been exposed to these kinds of activities. Seing that the bombs weren't that far from my appartment, and that I take the tube to work everyday, and that I work in the financial district, I feel very fortunate to have been safe last Thursday.

The entire day was tense, but I was pleasently surprised by people's resolve to carry on - by evening, people were readily bording buses again and doing the best they could to carry on.

This past weekend, I know of 3 more security alerts, 2 of which I was caught in. I guess things have changed.

Take care, everyone.

Have a hero cookie on me.

HC