Sunday, May 16, 2004

The Method To The Madness

Rather than listening to upbeat music when I'm sad in an attempt to lighten my mood, I listen to sad and sappy songs; it's because the sad songs give me the sense that I'm not the only one who's down and out. Listening to them gives me the sense that someone out there understands what I'm going through.

I have driving days when I'm confused and lost. Short of mechanical failure, I have complete control of my destination no matter how much or little I think about it. I can go anywhere or no where. I can go fast or slow. I can listen to music or I can drive in silence. I need no one else to do this.

I like to watch sappy romance movies when I'm lonely because they give me hope that no matter how awful or alienated I may feel, there will one day come someone who will love me for me, and who I can be with for the rest of my life--together.

When I'm feeling depressed, it cheers me up if it's raining. It makes it feel like I'm not the only one crying or feeling grey or blue, and for a little while, it feels like the world is revolving around me.

I like to read other people's writing at all hours of the night because it feels like I'm not the only one who's still struggling to collect her thoughts.

I can never easily call it a night--I'm always afraid I'm going to miss something.

No comments: