Saturday, May 08, 2004

'Cause You're There For Me Too

Well, I guess they're not anymore. *wails* No!!! Even though I bet the re-runs will never go off the air, and even though I already have full copies of seasons 1, 2, and 10, I'm still saddened by the fact that there will be no more new episodes of F·R·I·E·N·D·S for me to watch, compare my life to, memorize, and then quote from when having a day with Boo, Roo, Jean, Jeffy, or Brodder.

On Thursday, I had to tutor my kids and consequently had to miss out on watching the finale with the other 51 million home viewers and instead had to settle for taping it and then ignoring everyone who called me in case they happened to slip and reveal any of it to me. The only phone call that I accepted after the airing was over was from Boo (cuz I knew she knew better than to ruin it for me) and all she sedatedly said was "I'm a little sad, that's all."

Anyway, I went and hung out with Bar and his taped version of "The One Before the Last One" and of course the finale. Before we actually got the tape though, we watched the interview of the cast of F·R·I·E·N·D·S on Jay Leno--for which they recreated the actual set of Central Perk--and then right after we watched the first half of Conan O'Brien--because he had Brad and Janet as his guests (how could we resist?). All I have to say about the Jay Leno interview is that I LOVE the show's outtakes and that I (and Boo) could watch a whole DVD comprised solely of Monica's Fat Dance.

After all this prelim we finally reached the tape which I watched with a box of tissue right by my side. To be honest, I could see all of what happened coming from three episodes away, but that didn't make it any easier or less momentous for me. Since I was watching with company, I tried to hold in my tears, but my quiet attempts were to no avail; I wept like a baby, and sounded like a strangled goat. *sigh* The line that got me the most:
    "I got off the plane."
(I'm welling up just thinking about it...)

And then it was all over. It took me a while to stop weeping and let it sink in, but when it did, I was left with the same feeling that Boo had been left with five hours earlier: "I'm a little sad, that's all," but by then, I realized that that was an understatement. Call me girly, or sentimental, or sappy, but it really felt like there was suddenly a void in my life that was never going to be filled again. COME BACK F·R·I·E·N·D·S!!! I hope everyone by now has witnessed the farewell and the finale of what could possibly be the greatest show of my lifetime. If not, I have both a copy on VHS and on my computer--feel free to ask. :)

No comments: