Sunday, December 07, 2003

No, There Weren't Any Explosions

Pretty much everything that I had planned for today bombed. First thing this morning, I had a volleyball game with the Tri-Campus team out at Brother Andre at 9am. I got there and it turned out that I was the third of the "tri"-campus team members to show up. By start time of the first game, we had a grand total turn out of 5 players. Whoo-hoo. We defaulted our whole day. Boo. But on the plus side, we got to scrimmage with two of the other teams for a bit and that was a lot of fun. There was no pressure so there were a lot of laughs--especially at each other during a successful (or not) scramble--and everyone was on her game so had we kept score, we would've ROCKED the other teams. Coach Young stepped in as our setter and you could so see he had it in for this one girl on the first team we played cuz she thought she was all that on court. Every single one of his serves was right to her, but a little short, so she was on the floor for all of them, flopping about like a fish out of water. Good times, good times. Despite our good performance on the court, Coach Old wasn't impressed with out poor turn-out and was a little grouchy on the sidelines, but other than that, I'd say it was a good time. As a re-quote: "Because it's volleyball."

Next plan to bomb on me was an electronics sale with Tuna. I called him up after my non-volleyball games and he told me that he'd slept at 8pm after our tourney yesterday, then woke at 7am to do marking until just then (just after noon). In short, he was too tired to go to the sale for an aimless wander since neither of us really needed anything electronic and super expensive (despite the sale) at the moment. So we ditched that idea. But on the plus side this time, I got to veg on the couch for a while, enjoying the use of the heat packs on my super sore shoulders. *sigh* That felt SO good.

While lying on the couch there with the heat packs, I was ready to doze off, listening to Hun-Gee's soft, soothing voice on the phone. I nearly did, and even hung up with Hun-Gee in order to do so, but not 30 seconds into my fall into sleep, Boo called me and woke me up. She was calling to confirm our movie date for later that day. I was grouchy for a little while after that, having caught a second wind after her call and finding it hard to get back to my previously sleepy state. But again, on the plus side of that, I ended up off the couch and out shopping with mom--she bought me a sweater and one of my Christmas gifts for someone else--swEEEEt!

Back to that movie date with Boo, I made arrangements with her and Squiggly to see the 2:30pm show of Honey today, out east--a 20 minute drive east, actually. So they were to be ready to go by 2pm so we could get started on our journey to the theatre. AT 2pm, I called Squiggly to see if we could get underway, and he told me he still needed a shower!!! And then I called Boo and she admitted to not be ready either!!! The movie date didn't end up bombing though--the plus side was that it was an exciting drive (a 20 minute drive to be done in 10), we didn't have to watch too many previews nor feel pressured to buy any theatre food, and I got to ride shot-gun. :D (As a short "bomb"/"but the plus side": Honey was your typical "overcomes all odds in the ghetto" flick, but there was BOOTY!!!)

Afterwards we headed to the mall, just after picking up Squiggly's bro. Not too long into what we'd hoped to be a nice little early Christmas shopping trip, Squiggly and his bro decided to duck out and head to dinner with their fam downtown. Although it left me and Boo (and consequently the JFC) without Squiggly, we were relieved. Yet another bombed plan was rescued by the fact that we no longer had to be caught up in the family feud between the brothers. *whew* Trust me, that feud could've blown-up at any second...scary... :p

When I finally got home, I gave Vin a call to see if he was still interested in cramming with me for tomorrow's exams that we each had. Turns out that he'd headed out early to study with some classmates (a good move, for sure) and didn't think that he'd be heading back my way for a while to study with me. However, shortly after he gracefully declined my study date offer, Tuna called and wanted to know if I wanted to meet up with him at Tim's to hit the books. Done and done. So, I'm out to there in a bit.

Despite the fact that a lot of my plans didn't work out today the way that I thought they would, they DID end up working out in some way or another. I'd like to think that that's the way it usually is. Everything happens for a reason, right? Without the downs, there could be no ups. And people wonder why I'm such an optimistic person--every thing just always finds a way of working out for me. I guess you could call me Even Steven (even though my name is nowhere even REMOTELY close to Steven) like Seinfeld--it just always works!

No comments: