Saturday, October 19, 2013

What's in a name?

Both of the mothers were scheduled to arrive later that morning which left the bridal suite filled with just us young girls - the only married one was our makeup artist and she had only had her wedding a little over a month before mine.

Thank goodness the moms weren't there.

The topic of conversation was about what to do with your maiden name.  Señorita and my makeup artist, Charming, were of Hispanic/Filipino tradition: their names consisted of both their mother's maiden name and their father's last name: Señorita Looking For Fun, and Charming Iss Living Talent.*  Their tradition followed that at marriage, they would drop their mother's maiden name and adopt their husband's family name; Señorita would lose "For" and Charming would lose "Living."

*obviously these names are made up, but the initials are (pretty much) true for illustrative purposes.

However, while Charming and I both wanted to take our husbands' names, neither of us wanted to lose any of the ones we already had.  After some excited discussion, the suggestion was made to just smash our maiden names into our already existing middle names and take our married names as our solitary last name.  That made me Melody Amazing Choiceto Love, and Charming Iss Living Talent Sublime.  The difference was that to do this, we'd require a legal name change versus just assuming his last name.  And then came the comment from Charming:

   "My name is going to be so long!"
   "But it'll be worth it - you get to keep everything AND get a bad-ass last name to boot.  Just get it legally changed."
   "Yeah, you're right.  And while I"m at it, I should just switch my second and third names so my initials will be 'CLITS.'"

I died.
...

I shared this story with Brodder and we had a laugh.
   "That's like 'Coors Light Iced Tea,'" he pointed out.
   "Oh my god, it is!  Someone didn't think that one through."
   "Or maybe they did.  And it gets funnier the drunker you get - 'I'd like some more CLIT, please!'"

Oh gawd.

No comments: