Saturday, October 19, 2013

Name that song

There's a song that always makes me think of my brother in-law, LaBLee, every time I hear it.  It was his ringtone the first time I met him and it always made me laugh because LaBLee was more often than not all dressed up for/from work and he was always polite and cordial.  But then his phone would ring and this badass gangsta anthem would play and totally knock down this facade.  While I always recognized the "LaBLee" song whenever I heard it, I could NEVER, for the life of me, remember the actual name of the song, despite its popularity and it being a hit with everybody.

Then, of course, I wanted to play the song at the wedding party and dedicate it to my new brother in-law, and of course I couldn't remember the title of it as usual.  However, I wanted it to happen, so I did some research.  I scoured the dance floor for reliable sources and proceeded to shout my questions at them over the music.

   "Dimps!"
   "What?"
   "What was the name of the song that was LaBLee's ringtone?"
   "Oh my god I know it!  Oh god, what is it called?"
   "I don't remember!"
   "Me neither, but I know it!"
   "Ack!  Uh, Yapper!" I called to another friend.
   "Yeah!" he danced his way over.
   "You know that song: 'to the windows, to the wall...'"
   "'...til the sweat drips down my balls...!'"
   "Yes!  What's that song called?!"
   "I can't remember!"
   "Dammit!"
   "Someone will know."
   "I know.  Kee!" I called to another friend.
   "Yeah!"
   "What's the name of the song: 'to the windows, to the wall...'"
   "'...till the sweat drips down my balls, and all these bitches crawl...!'"
Then bystanders joined in, shouting,
   "'...to all skeet skeet muthafuckas! All skeet skeet aw damn...!"
   "Yes!  What's the name of that song?!"
   "I don't know!"

And so it continued.  I think it was finally Señorita's brother that finally came through for me in the end and I managed to request and dedicate the song.  And then it was played and the entire dance floor exploded.  To the windows, to the wall, EVERYONE knew ALL the words and went nuts...and I bet none of us remembered the title afterwards either.

"Get Low" - and we did.

No comments: