Monday, March 12, 2007

Noni?!

This is going to sound awful the moment I write it, but I think...I think I'm getting all Japan-ed out. Ah! However, that's not exactly an all bad thing. It's not so much that I've seen or done too much, it's more like Japan is starting to lose its novelty on me--it's starting to feel like home.

So that's what I mean by being all Japan-ed out. I noticed it today while in Kyoto. Now, Kyoto is home to 17 (I think) UN Designated World Historic Treasures. It's got so much culture and heritage, philosophy and istory to be had. And yet, when I got poured on half way through, I actually took it as a welcome interruption to my hardcore sightseeing.

I spent the rest of the time wandering the covered shopping arcades in seach of my must-have souvenirs. I was content. The fact that the rain had ended my touring didn't put any damper on my day. I just brushed it off and told myself--I'll see it tomorrow.

Which brings me to another point--the downfall to my comfort level in Japan--I don't have too many "tomorrows" to go.

As comfortably at home as I feel, the truth is that I'm NOT at home and WON'T be here much longer. And I've already felt the "I'm not ready to go yet" panic. I'm home here because there are things I find that fit so perfectly into my life. My seaweed rice balls. My Royal Milk Tea. My uber-accessible train routes (except in Toyotashi). My Y100 stores. My stationary stores. My uber-fresh foods/sushi/sashimi. My plum wine. My ability to write private jouranls in public because I can be fairly confident those around me haven't a clue what's on the page. When I go home, I won't have these things so accessible anymore!

Perhaps that explains my frantic splurging all of a sudden. That and the fact that I managed to come in WAY under budget up until now and if I don't spend like a madman, I'll be going home with Y50000 and more. What am I going to do with Y50000?

Things I could do with my 50000 yen:

Buy a gold plated home like this one


Change it all into coins and spend it tossing money for good luck


Buy hoards of corn soup in a can from vending machines


Pay someone to build me a stone garden to last all of eternity, puzzling all those who question its design


Buy a whole new wardrobe from this store


Buy Squiggly a ton more of these skimpy polka-dotted aprons to strut around hotel rooms in

Any votes?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I vote for more polka-dotted aprons!

-Tiger#6