Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Money grudgingly well spent

It's been almost a week, but I figured I'd still take the time to mention my shopping spree from last Thursday. So:

Don't you hate it when you go ahead and spend $115 in under 30 seconds on stuff you don't even want? Well, that's what I did on Thursday. I spent it Thursday night after my practice...in North York...at the hospital...on crutches and an air cast.

*sob*

Yup. At Thursday's practice I came down on another girl's foot and rolled my ankle--it "popped" then "crunched" on the way down. Eww. I sobbed for a good 10 minutes. At first I started tearing due to the pain.

Then I tried to get up.

The tears started flowing freely--I couldn't walk.

Then I heard someone say to me "maybe you'll be off it only 2 weeks and just miss the Canada Day tournament."

The tears came faster--I couldn't play.

Then I heard someone else ask me if she should call her boyfriend for a ride home instead.

I began to sob--I couldn't drive.

It was (and still is) awful. A lot of the girls told me that I was brave; any of them would have been sobbing by then. I thought I WAS sobbing. But apparently I wasn't wailing and screaming like they would have been. To this day, I still can't walk, play or drive, but I can hobble with the best of them. Whenever I go up and down the stairs, I warn people and let them go ahead of me. Once, Brodder got caught and started bouncing on his step behind me:

"This is worse than Mr. Bean!"

But, I've been doing my best, and with Sherman (who used to be Shmelly) around, I've been well taken care of. I even got to go out for my anniversary this weekend despite my injury. It took us a while, but we got there. And boy was the food worth it!

But I digress.

So, out of work and out of commission, I've been sitting at home not doing too much. Icing my foot, elevating it, putting ointments and oils on it, and hobbling from place to place. I've been telling people not to treat me like the invalid I appear to be, and have been doing my best to live normally.

Except when Sherman's around.

When Sherman's around, I act like a big baby. But that's only because I love him and I know he loves me. :D Hey, I'd do the exact same thing for him too if it'd been him on the ground (*knock on wood that it wasn't*). Well, almost the exact same thing. I don't think I'd be able to carry him around like he had to carry me from hospital to hospital, but I'd sure TRY.

Update on my progress since? The swelling of my ankle (my left one, by the way) has gone down so that my toes no longer look like a baby's fat dimpled toes, but my ankle's still a little swollen. My foot is still a little black and blue, but now mostly purple and red. And my walk has been upgraded from a hop to a slow waddle/hobble. Whoo-hoo! Volleyballers look out, I'm on my way back!

No comments: