Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Yes, coffee IS the shit

I have work to do, which is probably why I'm surfing random sites instead.  Anyway, long delayed story...

While Malcolm and I were in Bali this January, we treated ourselves to a lazy, languishing schedule.  One of our lovely mornings on the beautiful coast, we treated ourselves to a western style breakfast (our favourites here at home too) at a nearby cafe.  Noticing a sign for the infamous kopi luwak, we thought that while we were treating ourselves, we'd treat ourselves to a cup of the ultimate of ultimate coffees.


The cup was small, but DAMN was the coffee good.  The "nothing added, nothing taken away" sort of thing.    And so, we treated ourselves to seconds.  The coffee was supposed to be the best in the world (and it tasted that way) and the most expensive, but being in Bali, Indonesia, we weren't too worried about the price, though we admittedly hadn't seen it posted anywhere prior to ordering.

Then the bill came.

$5 USD per cup???


For comparison, our super filling, equally yummy meals didn't cost that much each.  It's not like it put us in the red, but we should have at least inquired after the price before purchasing, especially since we were in such a low-spending mindset.  Again, don't get me wrong - it was WORTH the $5 USD per cup.  WORTH it.  And besides, it gave us a great coffee story to tell; how many can actually say they've tried the best coffee in the world?

Anyway, so my digression brings me back to my distraction on the internet.  Being distracted, I found this post via a series of clicks through other sites, and I felt much better about those $5.  That's all.
...

Oh, and this afternoon, I felt a headache coming on, so to combat it, I went and got myself a huge cup of coffee.  Problem solved...or is that "problem deepened?"  Mmmmmm, coffee!

No comments: