Thursday, July 19, 2012

Slacking off Working at work

At all my previous work positions, I was accustomed to having to wear a whole wardrobe of different hats to manage all of the various tasks that crossed my desk on daily basis. Here at my new job, I was hired to be a writer and writing is all I do.

Not complaining.

However, by chance, I was asked if had time to sort through a list of clients and determine - based on data contained in the report - which needed to be contacted regarding our latest campaign. I agreed because I didn't happen to be writing anything at the moment. They thanked me and assured me I had two or three days to complete it. They then sent me the file.

It was an Excel file.

Nearly rabidly, I opened that file and sorted and filtered to my heart's content. Fifteen minutes later, I was done.

"You're done already?"

"Yeah, I'm a bit of an Excel geek."

"That's great!"

It was. I was presented with two more files to sort through, and then a graph to complete. Twenty minutes later, after I'd hit send, the colleague wrote back to me:

"You're AWESOME. You don't know how much time you saved me."

She really just didn't know how un-complicated it was. Shortly after that, an instant message popped up on my work screen.

Drugz: Hi there
me: hello!
Drugz: you're a tech wiz
me: hahaha
me: uhoh...is that a good thing?
Drugz: lol VERY good thing
Drugz: I just got a question from someone else: "I can't figure out how to imbedded a word document into another word document (or excel) so someone can pull up one doc that contains a variety of supporting docs."
Drugz: do you know how to do this?
me: there's a way...
Drugz: i'm listening...
me: http://www.geekrant.org/2005/09/14/word-embed-document/
Drugz: see...tech geek...i knew it
me: nope--supreme googler.
me: :)
...

Google makes me look like a geek. Excel makes me look like a whiz. Really, I was just shirking my other responsibilities. :)

No comments: